Jim and Cecil

Jim, You said: "Well done article by Aldridge.  Thanks
for posting it. Though I have been critical of Pitino
of late a thought occured to me. If Pitino had traded
for Pippen back then, would this be a better team with
Pippen or with who he could have re-traded Pippen for?
Would he been able to bring in better free agents
because of Pippen?I personally can't stand Pippen as a
basketball player/team person, but he
does have value.

-- I must say, I've often thought the same thing. What
if...we got Brown instead of Pitino. Well, for one
thing, we'd have Brown. Then, we'd have Van Horn
because a pi**ed off Brown would not have been at
Philly to send him to NJ. What if we traded, what was
Pitino going to do, 3 #1's or 2 and a body for Pippen.
Well, Pitino has neither Billups nor Mercer now, so
while I didn't want Pippen at the time, how would we
be faring now with him and could we lure other free
agents here? Of course, I don't think I could stomach
having a guy who refused to go into a game (playoff,
no less) donning a C uniform. Hey at least that deal
would have been better than ML's: to give, what the
whole team and a percentage of ownership just to TALK
to MJ (LOL). In any event, we have to move on. What do
you think we should do? I think Pitino should go and
it would be NICE to get a C coach...Cowens comes to
mind. A HOF, who hustled, should have the repect of
the players, but these days...and has a calming effect
and is a patient person, exactly what you described.
Failing that, DJ, Ainge, or hell, even Ford. What a
job he did in '95! I must diasagree with one statement
in that Espn article: The C's are NOT better off that
than they were 3 years ago and are not a killer center
away from damage in the playoffs (witness Mutumbo).
They may have better athletes overall, but throwing
away the picks and the salary moves are hindering the
C's for at least 3 more years, imo. Worse, I don't
know what Pitino will do next should he stay. I think
he's tinkering to tinker and the rescinding of that
trade was based on fan reaction (and I thought he
didn't read the papers).

Classic McHale quote: If all you needed to win were
hard workers, I'd get 12 plumbers. You need talent to
win.

Cecil: Where is Chaney? He's next in line for the plum
Knick job, working underneath Van Gundy, who as we all
know, had a stellar NBA career :)