Re: Pierce vs. Carter

>Before you start your "I never want Shawn Kemp anywhere near the Celtics"

And that's the problem. I think we all need, myself included, to get over
that sort of response. Every time I hear Pitino say, "I don't ever see
myself giving up a Paul Pierce," I always look at those stiffs on the bench
and start adding up salaries/year. Good calls Ricky. While Shawn Kemp is
probably just an example, I think we need to accept the fact that Ron
Mercer was supposed to be Jordanesque, and Paul Pierce is supposed to be
headed for the Hall of Fame. On most nights even at 300lbs, after 7 shots
of whiskey, and a box of donuts, Kemp's a more valuable player than either
of those guys. Pierce is never going to be close to the player that Kemp
was in Seattle. And the Carter, Kobe and Pierce comparison doesn't work.
You're right, Pierce is just a very nice player, but at this point Carter
and Kobe can be killers on the court. They can dominate and take over a
game. Even on bad nights, they're capable of making big plays when it
counts, at both ends of the court. And that's just what Kemp did in
Seattle.

Now, concerning Brian Grant. He's hurt and I think he'd be available this
summer. I don't think he'll ever have a year like 98-99, but he's just what
this team needs up front. I always thought this "Antoine can't play the
three," excuse was absurd. If Pitino could get his hands on a Ratliff or
Grant type of player, without having to give up Walker, Antoine would
miraculously and suddenly be playing a lot of three.

Paul M.