Re: Pierce vs. Carter

As much as I hate to admit it, players like Kobe and Vince have lapped
Pierce. The differences aren't offense-defense or questions of skill.
They're different players mentally. Kobe and Vince are ultra-competitive.
They take over games by force of will. Now, both are in the learning process
and occasionally go too far, scrapping the team concept, but those are the
same problems Jordan worked through. Pierce is far too content to "let the
game come to him," which is great for a second or third option, but not for
a building block.

But those criticisms are nothing new. Pierce was that kind of player in
college and still is. There's nothing wrong with what he is, but it means we
don't have our franchise player yet. That's why we need to keep our options
open in the offseason. Pierce may just be the bait to bring in a franchise
talent.

On the subject of the offseason: It may be time to consider buying low.
Let's look for some players who might be available that a year ago wouldn't
have been. Guys like Brian Grant, Keith Van Horn, Anthony Mason, or even
Shawn Kemp, who have shown the ability to be stars in the league and may
just need a change of scenery. Call it the Chris Webber strategy. It's a
risk, but you might hit a home run.

Before you start your "I never want Shawn Kemp anywhere near the Celtics"
opinion-the guy is still just 30 years old).  And I know, Van Horn can't
play defense and Grant is overpaid and Mason has a bad attitude, yadda,
yadda, yadda.... Now you're getting the point. Buy low.

Mark