Re: The Lady speaks

At 06:23 PM 3/2/00 -0500, Rich Davies wrote:

Freedom of speech is not about being able to make an anonymous statement
intended to muddy the water or inflame others; it's about having beliefs,
thoughts and ideas and *not* hiding when you proclaim them.

Rich D.

The First Amendment to the Constitution states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;or abriding the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people  peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

It doesn't say we have to give or withhold our identity.  It says only that Congress cannot make a law that restricts the freedom of speech.  As a nation that after 200 years is still considered a "Great Experiment" politically, we have enough experience as a nation to understand that our freedom to speak as we will, within the law, is not to be relinquished just because someone doesn't like the way we choose as individuals to express ourselves.