Misc. Ramblings

"Yes, he did not contribute to any championships, but
if that were the only qualification there are dozens
of
NBA teams with ZERO retired numbers." -- Yes, but this
is the Celtics we are talking about. How many great,
great players have the C's had over the years and how
many are retired? 20, I think. It's early in the am.
Don Chaney played on 12 seasons and won a couple of
titles, but he is not retired. Gerald Henderson,
Cedric Max and Danny Ainge contributed to two titles
and played the same amount of years (more or less) as
Reggie, yet they do not deserve the honor?

"Reggie was more than coming into his prime, he was in
it, as the stats below should illustrate.  He may not
have contributed to any championships, but his chances
dropped significantly with the injuries to Bird and
McHale.  Should his memory be punished for this?" --
First, let me say, I loved Reggie's game. He was tall,
athletic and had a smooth 18-20 foot stroke. He
averaged something like 36 ppg against Cleveland and
dominated. He owned Reggie Miller and more than held
his own against Jordan. I believe that his number was
retired because he died. A PR move, period. Should
that have happened? He may have built on what he had
previously done and had a spectacular career. He may
have gone downhill, he may have retired, been traded.
Any number of possibilities. So, we have to look at
the facts. He was not on a championship team, which is
pretty much a prerequisite for hanging in the rafters.
So then you have to look at his numbers: 8,000 points,
2,000 rebs, 800 assist and 400 blocks (App). Sorry, I
don't see it. He was a great citizen. I remember the
turkey giveaways, among other things. I'm not knocking
him as a person or player. I'm just saying if you are
going to put him up there, there should room for
players who continued the tradition, such as Max and
Ainge. Let the flames begin. (Sorry, just my thoughts)

"If they were playing at the same level (ie., without
injuries) I think we win some more rings in this 5
year
period." -- Have to disagree there. As it sickens me
to say, no one was going to beat the "Bad Boy"
Pistons. The NBA in the late 80s was starting to make
a change from the showtime Lakers and Celtics to a
grind it out, sub 100 point game defense that the
Pistons had. The C's were a great offensive team, but
in the Reggie era, an aging Kevin, Chief and Bird (who
was a better zone defender) couldn't keep up. The
bench was pretty sad. Green Acres, Michael Smith, et
al aren't going to do any damage aginst the Bulls,
either. I would have liked to have seen KC use Reggie
more his rookie year, but doubt that that squad had
any more rings in it.

"Did you all give up on Heinsohn and KC when
things didn't go well as coach?" -- I'm 32, so I don't
remember Heinson's squads all that well, although that
76 Finals was unreal, but I don't remember having too
many complaints about KC, except that he didn't play
Reggie more his rookie year and develop his bench more
in the 87-88 years. Unlike Pitino (bring Ford back,
something), KC let the players PLAY. Of course,
starting 5 HOF's isn't a bad starting point. He made
great adjustments. Switching DJ on Magic in the 84
Finals was huge.