any of the Oylmpics in person?

                 On first glance, Moiso impresses
                 by Mark Cofman

                 Friday, June 30, 2000

Making his way down the steps of the Celtics' offices onto the practice court at
HealthPoint yesterday, Jerome Moiso looked out at the sizable media
gathering awaiting him. His first instinct, as he walked toward the sea of
notebooks, cameras and tape recorders stationed at midcourt, was to thank
everybody for coming.

If nothing else, the Celtics' first-round draft choice is polite.
Selected with the 11th overall pick on Wednesday night, Moiso appears bright,
articulate, easy-going and equipped with a good sense of humor. The
6-foot-11 center from UCLA - accompanied by his mother Anick, stepfather
Andre LaCroix, and legal representative Bob Myers - made a terrific first
impression.

Of course, that impression came in street clothes and did little to address
the more pertinent question Celtics fans want answered. Can this 22-year-old
native of Paris, France, actually help the Celtics win games? Soon?

``I want to be an impact player,'' said Moiso, aware that the nature of the
NBA draft in recent years has turned many rookie seasons into little more
than developmental experiences. ``I don't know what to expect next season,
but I know I'm going to work for that.

``I believe that I have the skills to succeed at this level. Right now, I
think it's a question of getting bigger and stronger, continuing to work on
my game and getting acclimated to how things are done here.''

The Celtics will make certain of that. Moiso headed back to Los Angeles after a
late-afternoon meeting with coach Rick Pitino and general manager Chris
Wallace. From LA, he planned to fly to France for a wedding before returning
to Boston to prepare to play in the Shaw's Pro Summer League.

A crash course in Pitino's high-octane system isn't too far away and will
likely continue for him right up until training camp. Moiso, pondering an
invitation to represent France in the upcoming Olympic Games in Sydney,
Australia, said he's leaning toward not playing. His focus is on the Celtics.

``It's good for me to know that right now,'' Moiso said tongue-in-cheek,
when told Pitino expects his players in top condition at all times.
``Fortunately, I've always been able to get myself in good shape quickly.
And I'm not about to fall very far out of shape now.''

That's good news for the Celtics, who could certainly use some as they
attempt to turn the corner on a disappointing 35-47 season. After the season
ended, Pitino and Wallace figured the best bet to improve their team in the
offseason was to trade their pick. Their perspective changed in the last
month as they conducted private workouts for prospective draft picks.

Moiso was one of a handful invited back for a second look. As he performed,
Pitino, Wallace and head scout Leo Papile saw a player with a world of
potential. He simply outclassed his peers who would be available when the
Celtics picked at 11. They had their man.

``He's an incredibly gifted athlete,'' said Wallace, who presented Moiso
with jersey No. 5, last worn by Ron Mercer. ``In a lot of cases, when you're
dealing with a prospect with his kind of athleticism, you don't see the
basketball skills to match it. That's not the case with Jerome.

``He's got the athleticism and the skills. Now, it's a matter of developing
them at the NBA level.''

That won't happen overnight. The Celtics know it, and so does Moiso - even
if his stated goal is to make something of a splash during his rookie season.

``I've visited here twice before (in pre-draft team auditions) and I saw all
the banners,'' said Moiso, peering at 16 replica championship banners
hanging on the walls of the gym. ``My goal is to help the Celtics put
another banner up there.

``That's my focus, my dream. I want to make the Celtics as happy they
drafted me as I am to be here.''

"Winning isn't everything, wanting to win is." - Vince Lombardi