Re: Croshere is new prey (yeah okay)

Michael Griffin wrote:

> I've had an hour or so to reflect and I STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE THE OFFER MADE
> TO GET JERMAINE O'NEAL.  SIMPLY UNBELIEVABLE.  UNBELIEVABLE THAT WE WOULD
> OFFER BOTH PICKS NEXT YEAR + A SWAP IN POSITION OF THIS YEAR'S DRAFT?  THIS
> HAS TO BE A MISPRINT.

     FWIW Holley does report today that Pitino described the Tatum O'Neil trade
rumour as "fairly accurate." It makes me wonder if Portland really believes they
will get a better offer than this in the future. For once, it may be the other
team that pulled a bonehead.

    Compared to "what if" scenario's involving Drooling falling to eleven, or
the O'Neil blockbuster, I'm pretty happy with how things look today.

    The thing about high first round picks is the closer you approach draft day,
the less these picks seem like an abstraction and the more they seem like a
genuine need. If a kid is approaching a candy store, he might trade next months
allowance to get an extra piece of candy now.

    Plus I honestly think Pitino doesn't care one bit about next year's draft.
It is 2001 playoffs and out-of-here, or no playoffs and out-of-here.

    There's no guarantee that next year's draft will be great (it will only be
merely good, if no high schoolers and no freshman declare for the draft). But in
any case it seems useful to hold on to a Denver draft pick that Boston can cash
in at any time over the next three years, given the depth of big men with
enormous potential who will be coming out during that time.

    And for that matter the Celtics own pick should be considered a highly
valuable "sure thing" to most teams, considering our record since 1993. It would
help the next coach and owner to start rebuilding around those picks, although
Orlando looks to be in even better shape with something like nine first rounders
in the near future plus 20 million+ in cap space now.

    As for Fortson, it seems clear from Jim Mennino's post that he'd more easily
join any of 28 teams for the 2.25 million veteran slot rather than agree to
leave via sign-and-trade for a maximum 2.014 million (120% of his present
salary) before BYC rules apply. So I doubt we'd get compensation.  Fortson could
probably get productive minutes on the Lakers, given AC Green and John Salley's
age. Whoever it is, Forston will clearly welcome the chance to go to the team
where he's most wanted, without dilluting the new teams chances of winning via
sign-and-trade.

****