Wake Me From This Nightmare

Please... Please.... PLEASE tell me that it's really May, 1997, just
before the lottery, and that ML Carr is about to step down in favor of
Larry Bird.  I take back everything positive I have ever said about Pitino
as a talent evaluator, tactician or strategist.  3 number one picks
(including two in next year's draft, which figures to be chockablock with
big men) for the #28 and Portland's third-string power forward?  A guy
who, in the garbage time he's been afforded, AT BEST resembles Tony
Battie?  This while the Magic are giving away the best scorer in the draft
and the Knicks are giving away a Billy Donovan guy scouts have called
Rodman without tattoos?

2 second round picks for a Euroguard?

Jerome Moiso?  Of course, the Chuckster had him pegged perfectly when he
noted that colleges don't seem to have weight rooms anymore.  Of course,
Monsieur Moiso will add the avoirdupois in the offseason at HealthPoint.
Just like Tony Battie did.  Just like Walter McCarty did.  Of course
Moiso's "athletic".  So is Battie.  McCarty's a friggin' track star.
There's only one problem Rick and his genius assistant Wallace (for whom
the C's sacrificed ANOTHER second round pick) seem to have overlooked.
THIS ISN'T THE DECATHLON.  IT'S BASKETBALL.  Adrian Griffin may be the
least "athletic" guy on the C's roster.  He wasn't the problem this past
year.  Headless chicken-monkey-outbreak defense was.  Just because Moiso
has a nice vertical (like Battie and McCarty) doesn't mean he has the
skill to erase mistakes created by constant pressing.  Remember, Rick,
Bill Russell isn't walking through that door.

And don't even get me started on Antoine.  In his first season, he was
forced to play center.  Before the 1999 season, he was going to be Karl
Malone.  Before last season, he was going to be Scottie Pippen, until
Pitino abruptly decided that Antoine couldn't play the 3.  AND NOW HE'S A
POINT GUARD?  You know, I didn't think I was capable of pitying a 23 year
old kid with a $71 million contract, but I do pity Antoine.  I suppose the
only thing left for Pitino to do is make Antoine the coach.

At this point, I think the only hope of salvaging the situation is for the
Celtics to attempt a sign and trade for Croshere (either Fortson or Battie
-- I realize that Battie is base year, but doesn't Indiana still have that
$4.5M Antonio Davis exception to use?).

I still believe in the nucleus.  I think that Walker and Pierce are
marvelously talented players who could blossom in the right system.  I
believe that Potapenko can be a quality NBA center and that Griffin is an
invaluable role player.  Despite my rantings above, I haven't even given
up on Battie -- nor have I given up on Fortson, though Pitino obviously
has.  It would be nice to jettison Kenny for an unselfish point guard.  It
would be even nicer to have a steady hand at the wheel.  Save us, Larry!
Get lost, Rick!

Michael Gooen

P.S. My only remaining hope is that I'm as wrong about this pick as I've
been about past drafts.  I have this dim, embarrassing recollection of
liking Acie Earl and Eric Montross (I was also very high on Harold Miner
and Randolph Childress).