Toronto wants 11 and Dooling - Are offering Christie and 21....

Pitino, Miami closer than thought
by Steve Bulpett
Wednesday, June 28, 2000

While the bottom line on the University of Miami's brief flirtation with
Rick Pitino appears to remain the same, it has been learned it was not
the long-distance affair first thought.

UM athletic director Paul Dee yesterday confirmed a report that he and a
few school officials flew to Boston this past Saturday to speak with
Pitino about the Hurricanes' coaching opening.

The Celtics coach and president characterized the discussion on Monday
as simply offering advice to a friend about the Miami search, but now it
appears there was a good deal more to it.

Sources said the UM party spoke with Pitino for 5-to-6 hours, and Dee
referred to the conversation as ``cordial.'' Dee added that Pitino was
no longer a candidate, but at least one UM official said the matter may
not be entirely closed.

For the moment, Pitino has more pressing issues. Before this evening's
draft, he will sit down with Celtics owner Paul Gaston to set the
financial parameters for personnel needs. This will be a most critical
meeting in regard to the club's ability to re-sign Danny Fortson and to
go after Indiana free agent Austin Croshere.

As for the Miami situation, sources said it was a case of Pitino trying
to get Celtics associate coach Jim O'Brien a look. But the fact he would
allow school officials to fly here to pitch him for the job certainly
gives the appearance there was more to it.

Reached yesterday, Pitino said, ``I've got no comment about it. All I'm
thinking about right now is the draft and July 1 (the date teams can
begin speaking with free agents). I'm not looking for a job.''

Asked if it was definitely over between him and Miami, Pitino said, ``It
never started.''

Reportedly, Miami offered Pitino $1.2 million per year to take the job,
and officials there were surprised that he was even willing to discuss
things considering he will make $6.75 million per year for the next
three seasons to coach the C's and $2 million per for four more years
thereafter in a front office job.

As for Florida ties, Pitino in the last few years purchased a home in
Miami Beach that the Miami Herald said cost him $5.4 million.

But the money on Pitino's mind today is what the club will be allowed to
spend this offseason. The 11th pick in the draft is slated for a
guaranteed contract beginning at $1,218,300. In addition, the C's have
two salary cap exceptions to use on free agents - $1.2 million and $2.25
million. The question is whether they can be used.

``We're going to sit down with Paul (Gaston) on draft day and go through
all the numbers,'' said Pitino. ``Then Chris (Wallace, the general
manager) will have a better understanding of which direction to go. We'd
like to keep Danny, obviously, but we'll have a better idea after
speaking with Paul.''

In terms of potential moves, the Celtics were looking at little as of
late yesterday. Toronto was looking to get the 11th pick (and would have
to take back a bad contract or two) for Doug Christie and the 21st pick.
The Raptors were trying to get in position for Missouri point guard
Keyon Dooling.

Also, sources said it was Vancouver that offered Othella Harrington for
No. 11 and a contract, something the Celts quickly nixed.