Re: WEEI C's Trade Rumor

--- You wrote:
Depending on who is available at the 11 spot this could be a good move for
the C's. Marshall can give us 15 point a game and rebounded well last year.
Definitely an upgrade from Griffin at the 3.  Cummings a excellent prospect
at the 1 spot, and Foyle a big shot blocker in the middle.
--- end of quote ---

While, as I've said before, I don't have confidence in Pitino's ability to either draft or trade well, I'm of two minds about this one. At first, this doesn't seem like a bad trade, as these players do address our needs. Then again, I know squat about the potential draftees - perhaps any of these guys is an improvement over the GS players, at rookie salary.  Another question mark is the the contractual status of the GS players involved: Cummings is on the rookie contract until '04 at $600K per, so he's fine; but Marshall is making over $5M/yr for 2 more years, and Foyle is an FA. Does anyone know how much he's asking for? Either way, I'm not sure how they would make this work cap-wise, and don't want to bother to work it out, since the rumor may be bogus anyway. At first approximation, it seems that we'd need to dump another, preferably bad, contract on GS, since we'd be loading up on Marshall's and Foyle's (new) contracts.

I do think that BSG is correct in pointing out Pitino's motives as the impetus behind any draft-day dealings by the Celtics. Satch Sanders once remarked about the conflict of interest that Don Nelsons (i.e., GM/Coach/President/Client as the same person) of the league are often faced with: the coach's objective is to win immediately, and the GM's, to build a team long-term. Since Ricky is foremost a coach with bad GM skills (inability to evaluate talent, lack of foresight and patience), it is quite likely that he would this trade, since it would make him look better viz. the Mercer trade, and (one would think) the new guys should be able to contribute more, at least next year, than Fortson, Barros/Mccarty/Williams (the presumed bad contract throw-in, from not-so-bad to worse), and the draft pick.  After all, Foyle is a defensive-minded shotblocker (he would make a serviceable two-headed center with Pot, as they somewhat compensate for each other's weaknesses), Marshall did average 14/10/2.5, and Vonteego looks somewhat promising as a big PG. Combined with (hopefully) more mature, in-better-shape Walker and Pierce, they might be enough to get us into the playoffs, thereby allowing Ricky a semi-graceful exit or (and that's the big risk) even to stay on to further drive the Boston Celtics into the ground. I guess we'll know soon enough...
Kestas