Re: WEEI C's Trade Rumor

>From: "Jaims" <jaims@impactnet.com>
>
>Easy my friend.  Though I agree with you on not trading away Paul Pierce,
>there's nobody in this thread message suggested to trade Pierce. Someone
>just implied that we shouldn't give away our lottery pick unless we
>couldn't land a Paul Pierce type or Vince Carter type of a player.

No, I'm pretty sure there are those who do think trading Pierce is the way
to go.  Paul M. will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what he
suggests?  It's not that anyone wants to dump Pierce for nothing, mind you.
Just that he's the asset that will get the most in return right now.

I was just thinking, though, that Pierce still has two more years left on
his rookie scale contract (plus the 5th year right of first refusal), right?
  And, after this year Walker's base year compensation issues are gone,
aren't they?  So, shouldn't we give it one more try with this nucleus?  If
they improve great, but if not they will both be tradeable and we'll have
two high draft picks and a new coach.  Not to mention what should be a
promising young player with upside from this year's draft.  The
possibilities are much greater then.

Before last year I was saying that it was the make or break year for Pitino
and this team.  I still feel that three years should have been enough to
show that they were making strides, and they haven't.  However, given what I
just said above, I think the team would be better served by not doing
anything too drastic until next year.  Someone said a few weeks ago that,
more than any trades or signings, the best way for the Celtics to improve is
to get the current players, especially Walker and Pierce, to show up in
shape, committed and ready to play smart basketball from the opening tip.  I
agree.  I'm not sure I'd have given this team, especially Pitino, this
fourth chance, but I still feel like they've only had one real year of
playing together, and I think the trade options will be far greater after
next year.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a player with the draft pick
that will help.  Either a good defensive big man, scoring swing man or big
backup point would help greatly, and one of them WILL be available.  Sign
Fortson, unless they manage to grab Tsak or Joelzilla, then you'd need to
use the exceptions to fill the other needs I mentioned.

I know this doesn't fill anyone with confidence for this coming season, but
who cares.  We need to stop making desperation moves designed to push us
into the playoffs, and only do the things that have the best long term
payoff for the team.  I know a lot of you will say that there's no way
Pitino does that.  That he'll make moves to make himself look as good as he
can in his last year.  But people have been saying that since he got here
and, for all his mistakes, I don't think he's done anything that he didn't
think was in the interests of the club.  And I don't think he will.

Phew!  Sorry about that, i didn't think I had so much to say.

Jim

PS Tommy Heinsohn's going to be on WEEI this morning.