Big O2 Globe Article & Draft & Other Notes

- Marc Stein of the Dallas Morning News says the C's will
  take Joel Pryzbilla.  Can't believe he'll be available, but if
  he is, I'm sure the C's will happily grab him.

  http://basketball.dallasnews.com/nba/101725_NBAMOCK.html

- Vecsey says the C's have a major hankering for Mark Jackson as
  someone to school Toine, Kenny, and Pierce. Three or four
  other clubs are interested in him too.

- Don Nelson likes Big O2 and Keyon Dooling.
  http://basketball.dallasnews.com/mavs/101660_25nellielede.html

-  Nice article on Big O2 in the Globe

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/177/sports/It_s_the_court_of_appeal+.shtml

It's the court of appeal

Nigerian Oyedeji hoping to state his claim

By Joe Burris, Globe Staff, 6/25/2000

WALTHAM - The boy's grandfather, a Nigerian warrior, died three days
before the boy was born. So his parents named him Olumide, meaning, ''A
warrior has come,'' believing he would follow in his grandfather's
footsteps.

As Olumide Oyedeji matured, he wasn't expected to live out the name. But
he said, ''They would say in my language, a proverb that says, `Your
name determines what you're going to be,' your lifestyle. `Sometimes
your name follows you, your name talks for you.'''

Five years ago, the 6-foot-10-inch, 242-pound wide-body touched a
basketball for the first time. Then his local soccer team noticed the
warrior stopped coming to practice.

Instead, he could often be found on one of the few basketball courts in
his homeland, discovering his exceptional strength and fluidity.

After successful stints on teams in Nigeria, he played in the Russian
Superleague for Dynamo

Moscow. The past two seasons, he joined DJK S. Oliver Wurzburg in
Germany (Maverick Dirk Nowitzki's former team), averaging 12.1 points
and 14.6 rebounds last season. In March, he impressed many scouts at the
Nike Hoop Summit.

It appears the warrior had arrived. Oyedeji has earned accolades in
basketball circles throughout the world and wants to come to the NBA.
Shunning offers to play in Spain, Italy, and Greece, he made himself
eligible for the NBA draft, and is expected to be chosen close to where
the Celtics are picking (No. 11 overall).

''I have heard a lot of positive things [in workouts],'' said Oyedeji,
who worked out with the Celtics Wednesday. He signed with Lon Babby, who
also represents Grant Hill. Oyedeji was mentioned in last year's draft,
but was not picked.

That won't be the case this year. He has worked out with Dallas and
Seattle and is expected to visit Detroit, Milwaukee, and Chicago. ''They
have told me I have a good upside,'' he said. ''I can rebound and shoot.

''It's been a good experience [traveling around the world] as a young
guy, mixing with people, seeing different people, different cultures,
different mentalities,'' said Oyedeji, who speaks fluent English. ''The
American mentality is different from the Russians. It makes you mature,
and you learn more about life.''

He is regarded as a quick, strong player destined for the power forward
spot. Right now, his rebounding is his strong suit, but he is also a
good shot blocker. His offensive skills are limited, but he can put the
ball on the floor and challenge defenders.

''He's a determined and powerful young man who had to leave his country
at an early age to pursue his dream, first in Russia, then in Germany,''
said Celtics general manager Chris Wallace. ''He showed very well at the
Nike Hoop Summit in Indianapolis in March, especially on the boards. He
certainly looks like he's going to go in the top 20 of the draft.''

It was crucial for Oyedeji to leave Nigeria to pursue his interests, a
country still regarded as a soccer hotbed. He grew up about 125 miles
from the country's capital, Lagos, which has 10 million people.

Basketball facilities are so scarce players must go to school to play.
''You can only see the facilities in school. Basketball is for wise
people or smart, athletic people. [It's] not [the same] for soccer.
Everybody knows how to play soccer, whether you're educated or
illiterate.''

Oyedeji received offers to play professionally in Spain, Italy, and
Greece and was recruited by Rutgers, Georgetown, Auburn, Texas, and
Boston University (he is good friends with former BU standout Tunji
Awojobi, who is also from Nigeria).

''He told me it was a good experience, a good school and they treated
him well,'' said Oyedeji, who says he wants to go directly to the NBA.

Oyedeji had heard of Michael Jordan, Kevin McHale, Larry Bird, and Magic
Johnson, but only began following the NBA two years ago, keeping up with
teams on the satellite. ''I heard about the great basketball tradition
in Boston. I heard of the Lakers because of Magic Johnson.''

He is well aware most promising Nigerian pivots ultimately draw
comparisons to NBA great Hakeem Olajuwon.

''There's only going to be one Hakeem, definitely,'' said Oyedeji. ''You
just have to work hard to pay your dues. You have to work hard. It
depends on the individual. That will determine how great you want to
be.''

Like most youths in Nigeria, Oyedeji played soccer growing up. Then he
started growing - at 14, he was 6-5. One day in January 1995, he saw a
group of kids playing basketball at his high school. Noting many tall
people gravitate to the sport, he decided to give it a try.

''I just started playing basketball just for fun,'' he said. ''Then I
started playing for Division 3 teams and I started taking it serious. I
was still playing soccer, but I stopped playing soccer two years ago,
finally.''

Oyedeji participated in the Nike Hoop Summit last season but didn't play
well. He returned home to work on his game and was determined to play
better this season, particularly after being named team captain.

''I wanted to show people how far I've improved in a year,'' he said.

Though he wants to establish his own identity in the NBA, Oyedeji has
been influenced by players such as Kevin Garnett, Alonzo Mourning,
Olajuwon, Chris Webber, and Rasheed Wallace. ''I haven't played against
any of them yet,'' he said, ''but I hope to in the near future.''

Oyedeji has been able to find countrymen in most of the cities he's
traveled to, particularly Boston, Washington, and Dallas. But he does
not have a team preference.

''This is a draft, and you have no choice until you're a free agent,''
he said. ''You just pray to the Good Lord, have a good workout, and hope
everything goes well.''