Re: Chris Wallace's top 14?

    It's surprising how the brain waves of info-starved Celts fans can travel
because I nearly anticipated (and share) your thinking pattern word for word on
this.  Maybe Keyon Dooling might also be the mystery man, or Barkley's
highschool teammate Speedy Claxton. I truly wish one more highschooler other
than Stevenson and Miles (maybe worth trading up for) were available, because it
is two deep at power forward (remember the names Zach Randolph and Eddie
Griffin) and also had Alabama's Gerald Wallace.

    My other impressions from the Wallace interview is that he is really trying
to hype Marcus "NBA ready" Fizer in order that he doesn't fall down to 11, which
would put Boston in an embarrassing predicament. Based on the most recent
scounting evaluations (notably FoxSports) you have to really wonder if Marcus
"Hot Plate" Fizer deserves to go in the top 13 lottery picks, although he should
go as high as number three. Personally, I hope he is one of those guys who gets
picked in the top ten so one more guy can fall down to us.

    Assuming Crawford, DerMarr (almost certainly) and Courtney are gone, I think
the Celtics would follow Wallace's advice and take DeShawn Stevenson. Based on
the way Wallace spoke in the interview and in Josh Ozersky's post, there seems
no way on earth he is prepping the Boston public for a "we just can't BELIEVE
Jerome Moiso fell to us at eleven!" draft day "thrilling" announcement. Maybe it
is a con by I don't think the "Frenchie" is quite in our plans. Unless they have
a useful trade planned for Battie, drafting Moiso would upgrade the team a net
zero  (Either "Bat Girl" will just make the rookie Moiso a benchwarmer, or just
as likely vice versa).

Joe

p.s. Imagine how much more precarious the 16-12 Celtics lead in World
Championships would be if Jerry West's Flakers had a third no brainer NBA All
Defensive player and Dream Team candidate (Eddie Jones) not to mention Eldon
Cambell?  I guess nobody--even the two Jerry's (Krause and West)--is perfect.

(copyright Fox Sports)
Marcus Fizer
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 260
DOB: 8/10/78

    OK, this guy never will be skinny, but girth could determine his
future....After a sophomore season in which he was puffier than a card-carrying,
big, bad wolf, Fizer manhandled the Big 12 as a junior. Reportedly was not quite
in fighting trim during a private workout for the Clippers in Chicago.

    Offense: He was a beast on the box in college, but may not be as salty down
there if he plays in the Western Conference, where the prevailing power forward
body type suggests genetic infiltration by the T-Rex. But Fizer (22.8 per game
at ISU) can prowl on the perimeter, stick a jumper or break down bigger
defenders with a (relatively) decent handle.

    Defense: Fizer isn’t exactly a stopper, and could become a morsel when
matched with the likes of KG, Duncan and Wallace. But in the Eastern Conference,
where power forwards check it at more reasonable sizes, Fizer’s perceived
deficiencies could be camouflaged. Suitors should be concerned about his
rebounding; he snagged just 7.7 per game for Iowa State, where he was the
largest Cyclone on the court.

    Parting Shot: Fizer would be a scary replacement for free agent Maurice
Taylor when the Clippers pick at No. 3; scary, because his questionable
rebounding and defense seem Taylor-made. But his future may be overwhelmed by
those of super-kiddies Darius Miles and DerMarr Johnson, inspiring a more daring
team to trade up and claim one of the young zephyrs.