Re: Pitino on ESPN

Thanks for this post. The pseudo-anonimity of the Internet makes it easier for
people like me to bash someone as hard working and neurotically dedicated as
Pitino. I love the Celtics but I wouldn't put 18 hour days into it, nor would
I have the knack to think up counter-intuitive defensive switches that baffled
and in many ways revolutionized college basketball. Given his commitment to
Boston and the organization, it is a shame that he has a glib, irritating
personality and that the 28 other NBA teams have gotten decisively better each
year at reading his suicidally inappropriate defensive gimmicks like a
freaking children's book.

If you 1) watch games; and 2) credit the seemingly genuine hustle and sheer
but misplaced exuberance of the Celtics players; then you have to admit that
Pitino is making routine defensive stops much harder than it needs to be with
his convoluted and counterintuitive half-court traps. I guarantee you that
opposing teams have headings in their advance scouts playbook literally
entitled "How to easily create a 7-inch height mismatch against the Pitino
headless chicken outbreak" or "How to rotate the ball around to the weakside
into wide-open three pointers those clowns will NEVER catch up to".

I want to make it clear that I don't dislike Pitino for being glib and phony.
I dislike him for making the Celtics the worst defensive team in the NBA and a
laughing stock.

You can laugh at me for saying this, but there are six or seven young Celtics
that would turn their careers around instantly and be major contributors if
they were traded to "better" teams. Given the present coaching regime, that's
why every proposed trade would end up lopsided in the favor of the other team
on paper (and why we should more or less stay put with what we have including
Fortson until the make or break 2001 draft and a new head coach).

Joe

*****