Re: Newton

Cecil Wright wrote:

> >     I think the Celtics brass should focus a lot of scouting energy on
> > making the most informed pick of their choice out of this group, on the
> > assumption that several of the players above will step in and be impact
> > 15ppg NBA contributors while the majority will be Richard Hamilton-type
> > duds or worse. Not that I know what I'm talking about....I truly don't.
> >

> Isn't it more than a little premature to call Hamilton a dud?  The guy was a
> rookie on a bad team with a PG who didn't like to pass the rock.  Jordan may
> be able to be a huge boost to him for the next season.

Hi Cecil:

    I actually wasn't  "Ripping" Hamilton. :-)  I was using him as an anology
for the type of promising rookie who won't necessary step in right away and help
carry the Celts into the playoffs. Hamilton was a great college scorer, leader
and winner who could/should be as good or better than Cal Cheaney or Kerry
Kittles once he matures I would think (especially after Mitch Richmond steps
aside).

    It is a pretty safe bet that some rookie big guards will outperform guys
drafted well above them this summer. For example, a guy projected at the end of
the first round like Desmond Mason could at least in theory outperform a
projected lottery player like Courtney Alexander or Dermarr Johnson. The Celts
are well placed at #11  to nearly have the pick of the litter, so I think they
really need to do their homework if that is the direction they choose to go.
Mason could be the Rueben Patterson of this draft...or not. Similarly DerMarr
Johnson in no way seems to deserve the comparisons made to Lamar Odom, but as a
rookie he could certainly fill a more limited DannyAinge/AllanHouston perimeter
shooting role that list members like Tom Murphy see as a team need. I don't know
that DerMarr Johnson is such a great shooter, but at least he can get that shot
off cleanly with his height and seems to work hard on it in practice. He could
start out as a team's designated sniper and eventually broaden his game as Danny
Ainge did.

    As much as the program itself gets criticized, if only Cincy had stayed
healthy they were one of the most likeable and memorable college teams of the
decade in terms of players who would all go to the floor on defense as well as
spread the offensive wealth around. They had NBA talent at every position. Just
bad karma I guess.

Joe

***