Courtney Alexander on The New Him and Working Out For Pitino

Sportstalk.com
6/11/00

The toughest questions of the day had to be answered by Fresno State's
Courtney Alexander.  Alexander, projected as the top shooting guard in
the draft, ran into trouble in college that eventually led him to jail.
Alexander assaulted his girlfriend and spent two nights in jail.  'It
was a difficult time, I had never been in trouble before.'  Alexander
was clearly comfortable talking about the incident and really gave the
best interview of the camp. When I asked him whether he thought it was
fair that scouts were comparing him to Isaiah Rider, both on and off the
court, Alexander was quick to shoot down the idea that he'd be a
problem. 'People make mistakes.  But good can come from them when you
admit you made the mistake and then change your life for the better. I
was a kid then, but I've matured.  I've changed as a player and a
person. ' Alexander has worked out for the Cavs, Hawks and the Celtics.
He said his Celtics workout was evidence that he'd changed.  'A couple
of years ago, I couldn't have played for Rick Pitino.  All I cared about
was getting my 20 points.  Now things are different.  Don't get me
wrong, I still want my 20 points, but now I'm a team player who works
hard, plays defense and does what's best for the team.'  Alexander works
out for the Magic on Monday and has workouts scheduled with the
Clippers, Bulls, and Nets.