Walker Getting In Shape

Apparently so...

Walker shapes up: Celtics captain works out in Chicago
NBA Finals Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Friday, June 9, 2000

LOS ANGELES - While the attention of the basketball world is focused on
the NBA Finals here, the Celtics are apparently getting better.

Chicago sources last week had Antoine Walker coming around to the way of
true NBA stars. The Celtics captain left for the early summer vowing to
get in better shape, and two sources said it looks as if he is following
through. First off, it appears there is less of Walker.

Reached by phone, Celtics coach-president Rick Pitino confirmed that
Walker is looking better.

``I worked him out (Monday), and I think he is for the first time
realizing what he has to do,'' said Pitino, who was in Chicago at the
league's predraft camp. ``He always likes to play, but he's hired a
nutritionist and he's hired a strength coach. He's worked with Shaun
Brown (the Celtics strength and conditioning coach) three times already.

``I think he's turning the corner greatly in that area, and that's great
to see.''

As for Walker's reported weight loss, Pitino wouldn't elaborate. It is a
subject the two do not like to discuss, even though the news seems to be
quite good at this time.

``The important thing is not light or heavy,'' Pitino said. ``The
important thing is that it goes into muscle. What's important is how
strong he can become and lowering his body fat. I'm just very encouraged
by what I saw.''