Walker-for-Van Horn

I just can't get riled up either way over this. I think 90 percent of us
would have jumped at this before this season. Now Van Horn is coming off
what was considered a bad year (more on that later), Walker showed signs of
coming around... and it seems most are against it.

Walker abused Van Horn this year, but I don't put a lot of stock in that.
That's one matchup. A couple of years ago Walker owned Chris Webber, but
that didn't make him the better player long-term, did it? In many ways, you
could make an argument that both Walker and Van Horn are primed for
Webber-like breakouts given the right situation.

Van Horn has the measurables. He's 6-10, runs the floor like a deer and can
really jump for a guy his size. He's a better perimeter shooter and foul
shooter. Walker is the better low-post player, ball-handler and passer. Both
seem like headcases from time to time and neither plays very good defense.
Power forward or small forward? That's the question with both.

My only complaint is this trade really doesn't change this team much. If
we're going to shake things up, let's change the look. Any trades should
bring in a big man, a point guard or a talent too good to pass up. I'm not
sure Van Horn qualifies.

Here are stats for both from 99-00.

Van Horn in 99-00: 19.2 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.0 apg, 60 blocks, 245 turnovers,
.445 FG%, .368 3pt%, .847 FT%.

**** It's interesting to note that in his "bad" year, Van Horn had the
highest field goal and 3-pt percentages of his career and the rest of his
numbers are right on his career averages. I think he was made the scapegoat
when things didn't go well there early, and no one noticed that he bounced
back pretty well after the bad start.

Walker in 99-00: 20.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 3.7 apg, 32 blocks, 263 turnovers, .430
FG%, .256 3pt% (and he had more attempts than Van Horn), .699 FT%

***** Antoine also posted a career high in FG%, but was undone by his
atrocious 3-pt shooting and shocking willingness to fire it up. He posted
career highs in FT% and assists per game, but his 8 rpg were a career low.

To sum up: Walker for Van Horn? Don't love it or hate it.

Mark