Re: Walker or Van Horn - That is the question...

"Toine and Keith are both base year compensation players, which means a
straight up trade is impossible. Whatever Van Horn's offensive skills are,
he will do nothing to improve the Cs in the defensive end of the court.
Even if the deal was possible under the salary cap, I'd pass

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000 DJessen33@aol.com wrote:

> Supposedly Peter Vescey said last night at halftime that a Walker for Van
> Horn deal is on the table. I don't know who wants to do it, Pitino or the
> Nets. I read Dave Allensendro list trading Van Horn as an option for the Nets
> rebuilding. His gage of Van Horn value would be a trade to the Clips for
> Lamarr Odom. Pitino has always put Van Horn in the Duncan caliber. I didn't
> think he was THAT great coming out of college but was impressed by his rookie
> year. However, lately, I couldn't believe of all the times that he missed the
> wide open shot. He has some decent action in the post. He is horrible at
> defense and it makes Walker's defense look good. He rebounds well considering
> his lack of bulk (nice hops). However, is toughness is always questioned.
> Walker's toughness is never questioned. However, his judgement is another
> story. It is an interesting proposition. Can Walker grow up, take good shots,
> pass the ball, make the 15 footer, improve his free throws (VH shoots about
> 85 % vs Walkers 65%)? Can Van Horn, already a good shooter, improve his shot
> to what you think his potential is and be a deadly shooter? I think Walker is
> a little better today, mostly because of his will to perform at a high level
> (during game time <g>). Both players could dominate and be one of the top 5
> players in the NBA if they reached their potential. Who has the most
> potential? I think they are about the same. I think VH won't be able to
> improve his defense over Walker but I think VH will end up being a better
> rebounder due to his God-given hops. I think VH could be a deadly shooter
> inside and out. But Walker has more moves inside and is better on the break.
> But then again, Walker can be stuffed inside when matched up with taller
> players and VH will always have the spinning move off the post due to his
> hops. That is almost unstoppable. So I guess I would do it. How about you?...
>
> DJessen33

	  Dave Wickerham
	  aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu
	  Saratoga Springs, NY