Re: Can ron help us?

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 03:50:44PM -0400, Neal R Hoffman wrote:
> Here is an idea that I have been tossing around in my head for a while.
> Will having Ron Mercer back on the team help us win more games?

Like you suggest, I agree that he could help IF he is on the second team.

> We won more games the year after he left than the year when he, PP, AW,
> and Kenny were all playing together.  I have been trying to figure out why
> and can only think that he likes to shoot before passing.

I'm thinking that the additions of Griffin and Fortson helped us.  Basically,
losing Mercer and adding Griffin to the starting lineup turned out to be
beneficial to us.  Fortson improved our rebounding; his offensive rebounding,
in particular, probably helped by getting us second shot opportunities (which
we really need).

> I would love to see Ron come back and anchor the second team as a scoring
> machine.  He comes off the screen like no-one in the league and would be
> an asset!

The concern is really what we end up paying to get Mercer, if that's what
we do.  We could use him, but I don't think we need him by any means.  An
effective backup point guard would be more useful, in my opinion, especially
if Barros or Sesar can contribute at the SG position.

Francis