Re: How can we make the trade work?

>From: "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: How can we make the trade work?
>
>  >From: "Josh Farber" <nbaj2k@home.com>
>  >
>  >What would need to be changed in order for a deal to happen?
>
>How about a big pile of cash?  How much of Dana's contract could the C's
>pay?

Yes.  Money that isn't tied into the salary cap is just cash, and
teams need to spend cash in order to win, like it or not.  Depending
how much of Gaston's public front of the fiscally-responsible, not
going above the cap (much), business, is real, he might need to learn
to pony up the dough in order to win.  The real question is, though,
if you pay Dana's salary, does that count towards your own cap?  Even
if it does, it might be worth it if this option is included _instead_
of the first rounder, but if it's in addition, then it's just adding
insult to injury, I think.

>I'm not sure that I am that sold on this deal, for all of the reasons
>that others have alreay stated: How much better is Wahad than what we
>already have?  How good is that pick going to be?

That pick might be pretty good, whether it's Denver's or ours.
Denver's got talent, but that doesn't translate to wins, and this
draft is said to be deep.  At any rate, the pick is a five-year deal,
at relatively low money, which can't be beat if the guy we end up
with has any sort of talent.  (Talent that might come in handy if
Pitino leaves after this season and we go into rebuilding mode (third
time's the charm, right?))

Anyway, I think Wahad, if he's in green, probably becomes the team's
second-best defender (after AG) unless Battie has improved quite a
bit.  He would fit in well with the "Poultry" defense, and a
run-and-shoot offense (if we ever get to see such a thing).  He's a
younger Cal Cheaney with more offense, and more potential.  I would
guess he starts at 2, with Pierce moving to 3.  It's somewhat hard to
see him worth $5mil/year, but stranger things have happened.

But because he probably starts, and you're able to ditch Barros's
salary (though you're really just swapping Barros and Wahad), I think
you probably have to do this deal, if it wasn't for that meddling
first rounder.  That pick really screws this deal up really bad.  If
our other additions are Vinnie Del Negro, Randy Brown, or Bimbo Coles
and the CBA guys (Blount and maybe one other guy from the summer
league), then I think Pitino may do the deal anyway, since the plan
will clearly be to stick with most of these guys and add a few
role-players, and shoot for the #8 seed.  If that's the case, I hope
a number of our key guys have improved in the off season.

Regards,

Bill