Re: Patience

>From: David A Wickerham <aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu>
>
>Sometimes the best thing you can do is .... nothing.

Ain't that the truth.  This month-long hiatus is killing me, though.
Why does July have to have 31 days?

>First, stop worrying about losing Fortson for nothing.   The only way he
>is going anywhere without our help is for the exception. We shouoldn't be
>part of any sign and trade that doesn't help us.  Having a 5 year
>commitment to Vinny Del Negro would be worse than nothing.

You're right, but what if he takes that exception (maybe with a
wink-wink deal) to play more minutes on another team (worst case
scenario: another Atlantic team)?  Then we've lost him for nothing.
We may be _forced_ to agree to a sign-and-trade in which we get
something, anything for him.  At least, that's what the thinking
would be.  Del Negro for 5 years at $4mil/per is disgusting, but I
could see management going for it, and trying to sell it to fans.

>Second, stop worrying about the 2 guards.   Only 2 teams are under
>the Cap, and even with the Nets and even with the Nets
>injury exception there are more 2 guards than non-exception slots.
>The most important thing we can do is to stop giving away long term
>contracts.

Good point.  A lot of what you might hear now is posturing, and
nobody really knows how things are going to turn out until the the
deals are inked.  A few players who are looking for big payoffs are
going to have to settle for the $2mil exception.  Some, though,  will
be able to demand (and get) a price that exceeds their ability or
even potential, via sign-and-trades.  The Wahad deal with the first
rounder is almost as bad as the Del Negro option.  (Well, not really,
but it ain't good, either.)  And I'm thinking C's management may be
desperate enough to go for something along those lines.

Regards,

Bill
--
wm. l. bird