"Pitino says he wouldn't be surprised to see the deal get done"

Abdul-Wahad meets Pitino's standards
Celtics coach looks interested in guard as part of 3-way deal

By Michael BeDan
Denver Rocky Mountain News Staff Writer

----

SALT LAKE CITY - Boston Celtics coach Rick Pitino did not change his mind
after a meeting with Denver Nuggets free-agent guard Tariq Abdul-Wahad late
Monday night.

"I think he's extremely interested in Boston," Pitino told the Denver Rocky
Mountain News early Tuesday morning. "We're very interested in him. I
wouldn't be surprised to see us get the thing done."

The thing is a three-team trade that would cost the Nuggets three players
and bring them Los Angeles Clippers free-agent guard Derek Anderson. As
sources have confirmed, a deal between Denver and Boston appears to be
intact. The Clippers, who would get Nuggets forward Keon Clark and Celtics
guard Dana Barros, are all that stand in the way of an agreement, two NBA
sources said Tuesday. The hitch is likely guaranteed money.

"If they were to take on Dana and Keon, it's two more guaranteed contracts,"
one source said. "And with the picks they have this year coming in,
(Clippers owner) Donald Sterling never cuts anyone with a guaranteed
contract."

Clippers director of player personnel Jeff Weltman declined to comment
Tuesday.

The Clippers have 14 players under contract for next season, and 12 are
guaranteed. Teams can carry as many as 15 players during the season,
including three players on the injured list.

"Right now we have two (teams) in, and we're waiting for the third," a
source said Tuesday.

No deals can be signed until Tuesday.