No Walker to Indy, Wahad for exception?

I'm very happy to say that it doesn't sound like the Walker deal will go
down with Indiana.
We'll still see about the 3 way deal.
Here's the article
Josh F

Report on Walker deal dismissed
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/26/2000
A report on ESPN.com yesterday said the Celtics and Pacers are considering a
five-player deal involving Antoine Walker, but Celtics officials were not
backing the idea.

According to ESPN's David Aldridge, Walker and Dana Barros would be dealt to
Indiana for free agent forward Austin Croshere (in a sign-and-trade
agreement), plus Chris Mullin and Travis Best.

''I really don't think that's reality,'' said Celtics coach and president
Rick Pitino. ''I don't think that'll ever happen.''

Celtics general manager Chris Wallace said, ''We think we've got some young
players who are going to go on and do some big things in this league.
[Walker] is one of our talented young players.''

Added a keen observer of the Boston situation, ''Boston has never
entertained any serious inquiries from other teams regarding Antoine Walker
unless it would involve a young, All-Star caliber player with Walker-like
numbers.''

Complicating matters is Croshere's free agency; the Raptors are also
interested in signing him.

A speculative three-way deal among the Celtics, Denver Nuggets, and Los
Angeles Clippers also has obstacles. The supposed deal had the Nuggets'
Chris Herren and Tariq Abdul-Wahad headed to Boston, with Keon Clark of
Denver and (pick one) Barros/Calbert Cheaney/Walter McCarty of Boston going
to Los Angeles. Denver would receive Derek Anderson. Draft picks were also
in the mix.

But according to a league source, the Clippers doubt that the deal is in
their best interest.

Abdul-Wahad's agent has said his client will not settle for an exception
slot, but spending the exception, from the Boston standpoint, obviously
makes sense.

A meeting between Abdul-Wahad and Pitino Monday night went ''very well,''
according to the coach. Pitino said he was impressed with Abdul-Wahad's
commitment to getting better and the team concept.

''I think he wants to be a Boston Celtic,'' said Pitino. ''But there's a lot
of complications to it. The chances of it happening are remote.''