Re: C's Sending Draft Picks To The Clippers?

> >From today's Orange County Register - Art Thompson III
>
> http://www.ocregister.com/sports/clips00725cci.shtml
>
> Celtics coach Rick Pitino has openly discussed signing Abdul-Wahad, a
> 6-foot-6 forward who has played for three teams in his three years in
> the NBA. Pitino was scheduled to meet with the free agent Monday in San
> Jose to begin contract talks. The major roadblock to the deal would be
> if either Abdul-Wahad or Anderson, also a free agent, can't come to
> terms with their new teams. Anderson is said to be leaning toward
> signing with the San Antonio Spurs.

    If Derek Anderson is leaning toward the Spurs over Denver, I presume it
is for the minimum 2.25 contract. Were that the case, I think Pitino should
be going all out to recruit and charm Derek Anderson (NOT Wahad for a first
rounder) by selling DA on the idea that he and Pitino were winners together
in college and will start winning and competing again.

    I'm pretty convinced that (barring a Jalen Rose-Antoine Walker
blockbuster deal) the trades Pitino will announce on August 1st will involve
Boston's and/or Denver's future first round picks.

    If Wahad turns out to be little better than Cheaney, or if he's can't
get off the bench ahead of Griffin, then the trade (Wahad for 2001 lottery
pick) may well go down as the most lopsided stupid deals in the history of
the Boston Celtics.

    Wahad has a LONG way to go before he starts putting up even Cal
Cheaney's early career numbers. Last year, he had more turnovers than
assists. As you already know, he also shot just .424FG% overall despite only
23 trey attempts in 61 games. On defense, he produced less than one steal
per game despite playing 25.9 mpg.

    Very strange, Pitino's love affairs. Wahad is little different from
McCarty, Billups and Moiso in being athletic and looking great in workouts,
but with below par and inconsistent statistical production filled with
warning signs.  At least on paper, McCarty is the same weight and height as
Moiso and probably averaged just as many blocks per game (1.7) in college. I
need not remind anyone that McCarty played on a team with 7 future first
round draft picks and a couple of other decent players (Sheppard, Wayne
Turner, Heshimu Evans, Archie Epps and more). I'm not saying Moiso is the
next McCarty by any means. I'm just saying it is troubling how Pitino
evaluates talent and puts so much faith in his ability to coach inconsistent
athleticism into production.

    I'm praying that the Clippers management will be smart for once and nix
this trade. They can probably do better than Keon Clark and Dana Barros by
shopping elsewhere.

--------