Latest On The Trade

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/nugs0725.htm

Abdul-Wahad shops himself
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Sports Writer

July 25, 2000 - Dinner with Rick Pitino late Monday night started the
freeagent tour for Denver Nuggets guard Tariq Abdul-Wahad.

Just hours after returning from a lengthy vacation in his native France,
Abdul-Wahad met with Pitino - the Boston Celtics' president/coach - in
San Jose.

Abdul-Wahad is scheduled to meet Thursday with Nuggets general
manager/coach Dan Issel in Denver. Abdul-Wahad's agent, Paco Belassen,
said the NBA veteran may visit the Minnesota Timberwolves, New Jersey
Nets, Utah Jazz, Miami Heat and/or Toronto Raptors. Free agents can't
sign until Aug. 1.

"We have one week until we can sign," Belassen said. "Tariq is going to
know his options and is going to look around before making the biggest
decision of his life ... Rick Pitino is going to visit with him, he is
going to visit with the Denver Nuggets and we're going to go from there.
He is going to make several visits now that he is back in town."

(The rest of the article talks about the possibility of Bryant Stith
being substituted for one of the players in the deal; the difficulty
of getting the Clippers to go along with the trade; other deals
being possible...)

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/207/sports/Abdul_Wahad_may_swing_here+.shtml

Abdul-Wahad may swing here

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/25/2000

While much remains uncertain in the current free agency class, the
Nuggets' Tariq Abdul-Wahad has clear ideas about what he wants and what
he will not accept.

''Tariq is not going to be an exception,'' said his agent, Paco
Belassen. ''It will have to be a sign-and-trade or a sign-and-stay.''
<snip>

Another sign-and-trade hopeful, Danny Fortson, is waiting to see what
other teams come up with and how much the Celtics will cooperate in a
deal. Atlanta, Orlando, New York, and Golden State remain options for
Fortson.

http://insidedenver.com/nuggets/0725nugs1.shtml

Deal for Anderson could be 'imminent'
Clippers hold final straw in proposed three-team trade

By Michael BeDan
Denver Rocky Mountain News Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY — A three-team trade that would cost the Denver Nuggets
three players and bring them free-agent guard Derek Anderson is close to
completion, three NBA sources said Monday.

"A deal is imminent," one source said. "It's in L.A.'s hands. Boston and
Denver have come to an agreement on it. Now it's just a matter of how
quickly it comes together. A deal is right around the corner."

The deal would send Nuggets guards Tariq Abdul-Wahad and Chris Herren to
the Celtics, Nuggets forward Keon Clark and Celtics guard Dana Barros to
the Clippers, and Anderson, a Clippers free agent, to the Nuggets.

Teams and free agents can agree to trades and contracts in July, but no
deals can be signed until Aug. 1.

Boston also would have to include a first-round draft choice in the
deal, Celtics coach Rick Pitino said Sunday. The Nuggets owe Boston a
first-round pick next year and could get that pick in the deal. No one
has confirmed if Denver will get that pick or other picks. If the
Nuggets get only Anderson in return for three young players, the
equitability of the trade is sure to be questioned.
<snip>

The Nuggets summer league squad, which includes Herren, is in Utah
competing in the Rocky Mountain Revue. The team did not play Monday.
Herren said he wants answers.

"(Going to Boston) is cool with me," he said. "I just want it to be over
with. I just want to know if it's done, it's done, if it's not going to
happen, it's not going to happen. It hurts when you have no
affiliation." <snip>

One source said the Clippers' interest in Clark wavered during talks,
but that the Clippers again are interested.

Nuggets guard Bryant Stith, a free agent after next season, has been
mentioned as an alternative to Clark in the deal. If the Clippers were
to opt for Stith, the Nuggets likely would throw in $3 million in cash,
the maximum allowable cash payment in trades.

A Clippers spokesman said Monday the team would not comment. Boston
general manager Chris Wallace also declined comment.