Re: The Duck and Westphal

>Joe
>
>p.s. Was Elvin Hayes, Bob Dandridge or Wes Unseld already part of
>that Bullets team that upset Boston? I guess the East was quite
>strong back then with the Knicks, Bullets, Celtics.

I made an error in my earlier post. Boston was 60-22 that year
(1974-75). The Bullets, with an indentical 60-22 record, won the
Central Division that year. Boston, the defending champion, was
considered the favorite in the playoffs.

The Bullets were coached by none other than K.C. Jones. They had
Unseld (league's top rebounder), The Big E, Kevin Porter (top NBA
assist man), and silky 2-guard Phil Chenier. (Dandridge came a couple
of years later in a trade with Milwaukee in time for their '78 title
run). But it was the unheralded Nick Weatherspoon who came off the
bench and killed the C's.

But maybe they celebrated too soon as they were smoked in the finals
by Rick Barry and the Warriors.

That year only three teams in the East were over .500: the C's,
Bullets, and the Buffalo Braves (McAdoo et al).

1976: Game 6: Charlie Scott was the leading scorer for the C's with
25 points in the final game.