RE: numbers game

>From: OzerskyJA <OzerskyJA@cmog.org>
>Assuming we trade Fortson for a first round pick, which is the best value
>in sports anyway, that leaves us room for
>
>Blount (Pitino:  "we're going to sign him")
>Workman or Jerome Allen or David Vanterpool (Overton's spot)
>Mercer or Wahad or Hubert Davis or Chris Klack or JaRon Rush (Minor's spot)
>Croshere or traded player (Fortson's spot)

I'd say that's about right, except I sort of expect that there is going to
be a trade once August 1st rolls around.  My guess is that Fortson is not
going to be travelling alone, wherever it is he ends up.  Some possibilities
to accompany him:

Dana - Last year of contract.  Could allow Celtics to take a larger contract
in return.  Let's just hope that means a better player, not jut an
overpriced one.

Cheaney - Hasn't really worked out, but does seem to have some worth.  Riley
wanted him last year and has been rumored to be interested in Fortson this
year.  Hmmm.

Kenny - Would anyone bite on the contract?  You never know.  The Knicks
perhaps?  Involving Kenny could mean adding one of next year's first
rounders into the pot to get the deal done, but getting a real player in
return.  Would need to find a point capable of playing big minutes.  Not
sure any of those have come through toen recently.

Vitaly - Pitino wants to run and press.  Fortson and V (Kenny too) just
don't fit that game.  He'd have value to a lot of teams, though, and is
signed to a pretty sensible contract.  Would need to find a center capable
of playing big minutes.  Not sure any of those have come through town
recently.

Battie - I'd sort of be surprised to see him go, since he's got the body for
the press, but he may be considered redundant with the addition of Moiso.

I'd put money down that Pierce and Antoine are staying put.  Adrian's
contract is so small, there's no point trading him, and Williams' is so
large, no one would take him.  McCarty is unlikely to interest any team and
even if he did, Pitino wouldn't trade his pet.

Would anyone in the league want to take chance on Pervis?  He could be
sign-and-traded to a deal that is small enough not to make him a BYC player.
  Perhaps that could be useful in getting a deal done.

My guess?  Fortson, Kenny and our 2001 #1 for Gary Payton.  Get your playoff
tickets now!  OK, that's not very likely.  Are there any other impact point
guards out there that could be had for that package?

Jim