Re: numbers game

>From: "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com>
>
>My guess is that Fortson is not
>going to be travelling alone, wherever it is he ends up.

I think that this makes the Wahad option possible.  I confess I'd be
excited about T-A both because that's about the caliber of player I
think we'll end up with, and also because he's a pretty good player.
Bruce Bowen with a better offensive game and probably even better
defensively.  That, and I'm fanatical about getting Frogs on this
team.  The more Frogs, the better.  Load 'em up with Frogs, I say.

As for the guys going with the Fort, I'd say you've hit it right on
the head: Dana and Cheaney are the most likely to go.  Of the two,
I'd like Dana gone.  Too bad: nice guy, deadly career shooter, but we
could use his salary to get someone who makes more than Fortson's
BYC-hacked trade value.  That, and we need an upgrade at the backup
point.  Preferably someone with a penchant for pushing the ball up
the court, like Dana.  Though basically inept at running the point,
Barros would at least consistantly push the ball.

As for the other guys, you're right, Kenny and V are unlikely to go
unless we get their replacements back.  I don't think the C's front
office is high enough on Moiso to ditch Battie just yet: what if Tony
has a breakout year (yeah, I know, that was supposed to be _last_
year)?

I wouldn't cry over seeing Eric Williams and/or McCarty leave.
Eric's a decent backup three (he's certainly gained an outside shot),
but he's just way too overpriced.  Of course, that's what makes him
virtually untradable.  Then again, he _did_ get traded (to us).
Hmmmm.  As for McCarty, don't get me started.

As for Pervis, wave bye-bye.  I've been burned far too many times by
Perv to have much sentiment at his passing on.  I can't seem to
recall the famous quote about Perv showing just enough talent to make
you cry -- maybe someone else on the List does.  I would've though he
would have been gone last year.  You know, last year of the contract,
cap room for some team wanting/needing some.  I guess Orlando was
actually in the playoff hunt there for a while (and Perv certainly
would've hurt their chances), and Chicago -- well, Chicago.  Still, I
would've thought we could've shipped Ol' Out of Service to someone
needing cap relief.

>I'd put money down that Pierce and Antoine are staying put.

Some might debate the merits of trading one or both _ad nauseum_.  I
doubt they're heading anywhere.

What I'd like to know more about is Greg Minor's $1.4mil salary.  I
was under the impression that we could _add_ this salary to an
available exception (the 1.1mil and 2.2mil ones), or to salaries in a
free agent or sign-and-trade deal.  Maybe the latter two were valid
only if we were under the cap, but I thought we could at least we
could add it to the exceptions?  So why didn't we apply for it?  Even
if it's only a standalone option (i.e. we can only offer some guy
1.4mil to sign with us), I would've thought it would have been worth
it.  I hope the Celt's braintrust was working on something pretty
freaking important to not consider doing this.

Regards,

Bill