Austin "Power Forward"

Some folks on the List are acting like Austin Croshere is some sort
of pansy-boy, ill-equipped to handle beefy NBA-type power forwards.
It's true that LA's 4 spot is a positional weakness for them, with
guys like an aged A.C. Green, Banana Boy himself, and Robert Horry.
Horry's not a great "power" forward, because, partly, he's not a
great inside defender, but he _is_ quick, and can guard smaller,
faster guys, even on the perimeter.  But, the thing is, LA's got this
guy, name of Shaq who's a good inside defender and quite the
shotblocker.

What I saw in Indy-LA series was a Croshere able to beat guys like
Horry with a first step (Croshere showed a good spin move I thought),
and unafraid to take the ball in the paint with Shaq waiting for him.
Meanwhile, many of his teammates were unwilling to take it strong to
the hoop.  This was impressive, not for the immense, wonderful talent
of it all, but for the fact that he was willing/able to drive and
also for the potential this might mean for him as a player.  Although
Brian Grant would deny position to Croshere, Croshere might also be
able to get past him, with a quick first step.  Rasheed Wallace is a
tough matchup for most power forwards.  On the hand, opposing _small_
forwards might guard Croshere, in which case he ought to take them
low, keeping them honest by shooting the "J" over them.  Croshere
could be an eventual stiff, but he could also be a good forward
matchup wth Antoine, especially if Pitino insists on Walker being the
4.

If the Celts can get Croshere to agree to the exception, great.  If
they sign-and-trade Fortson for Croshere, I guess there's lot's worse
we can get for "Ship Be Sinkin'".  The Walker-Croshere trade idea is
a no-brainer -- for Indy.  I don't think it'll happen.
--
william l. bird
mailto:bird@pixi.com