Re: FW: Fortson deals

"Berry, Mark S" wrote:

> Finally, I'm cautiously optimistic about the direction Pitino seems to be
> taking in reshaping the team this summer. He's trying to find players who
> fit the style he knows. We all know Pitino's first year was his best,
> despite lesser talent. He did it with Billups, Mercer, McCarty, Walker,
> Knight, DeClercq and Co. functioning well in the press. It seems Pitino is
> trying to go back to that blueprint while improving the building materials.
> I hope so. At least that style was interesting. Watching the Celts the past
> two seasons has been miserable.

It's hard to see how Croshere fits in the press. Or how Mark Jackson fits in the
press. This looks just as much like last year's failed blueprint as the first
year's failed blueprint.

BTW, I don't mind bringing Billups back as a backup, if he'd take 1.25 million
or if the 2.25 slot dries up for whatever reason. The positives are his youth
and the fact that he's a clutch player and a strong defender. Plus he's
articulate and comes across as competitive and team spirited. I'm pretty sure
he'll never be the point guard of the future, since he's had a shot and failed
on three teams since the trade.

As for Mercer, I think Derek Anderson is a much, much better basketball player.
For one thing he plays defense and passes the ball. And no matter how he spins
it, Ron Mercer wasn't any kind of team chemistry asset, whether at Denver or at
Orlando.

****