Hill, Duncan and McGrady

    AP reports that McGrady will join Orlando in a sign-and-trade. Don't
McGrady and Grant Hill play the same position? I don't think either
player could or would want to be confined to power forward or come off
the bench. Presumably, they could play on the court together if one of
them can defend a shooting guard.

    Frankly, I hope Tim Duncan does comes East and plays with Grant
Hill, McGrady and crew. I'm tired of the West and especially the
Flakers, the Zen-meister etc. For Boston's part,  "Dr Evil" needs to
pull the trigger fast on a deal for the international man of mystery.
;-)

    BTW, if Duncan does stay in San Antonio, it will be an act of
incredible allegiance to the city and to David Robinson, who along with
most of that 35+ team will retire in the coming year or two after one
last run at the title. Maybe he can be talked into staying with an
escape clause after two seasons. By then, probably every NBA team will
be capped out.

    I think this off-season could be the last time any NBA team (three
actually) will be in a position to offer 9 million to a FA under the
current bargaining agreement, in what seems to be the most lopsided deal
in management's favor that Billy King and Pat Ewing could have
negotiated. Once Orlando, Chicago and the Clippers also get capped out,
free agents will only have one team (their own) to negotiate with for
any salary above 2.25 million. This won't help their bargaining
leverage.

-----------------------------

           (AP) Like Hill, Duncan and McGrady could sign for $67.5
million in Orlando or $86
million with their respective teams. Duncan still is undecided.
           As for McGrady?
           ``Money is not an issue. It's all about being happy and
comfortable,''
McGrady said. ``I don't care how much I make, $67 million or $86
million. You
can't spend it all anyway.''
           One scenario to get all three would involve a sign-and-trade.
The Magic
could sign free agent guard Ron Mercer, and then trade him along with
several
first-round draft choices and cash to the Raptors for McGrady.
           No matter what, McGrady said he won't go back to Toronto,
where he averaged
15 points and six rebounds in his third NBA season.
           McGrady said he will make a courtesy visit to the Chicago
Bulls on Friday
and throw out a ceremonial first pitch for a White Sox-Cubs game on
Saturday.
           ``Frankly, it's just out of respect,'' McGrady said of the
upcoming visit.
``They wanted me before I came into this league.''
           But now he wants to be in Orlando _ preferably with Hill and
Duncan.
           ``I feel very comfortable here,'' he said. ``I'll take a
couple of days
after the Chicago visit and then tell my agent the real deal. My No. 1
choice
is Orlando.''