The Clippers

I think the Celts all know that tonight's game is pretty tough under the
circumstances but also very winnable.

The Clippers ( 3-14 on the road, 10-23 overall) have lost 5 of 6 games
since edging the Celtics on December 26th. After consecutive blowout
losses of 23, 22, 24 and 17 points to some elite teams, they've settled
down a bit lately notably with an ambush win four days ago against
Bird's Pacers (winners of 9 of 10 going in).

In that game, "El Busto West" Olowokandi exploded for a season high 24
points and 17 rebounds. It was Kandi's second consecutive game leading
his team in scoring, so he seems primed for tonight's likely "frontal"
assault.

Surprisingly, five of Kandi's teammates  have poured in more than his 24
point season high in a game this year (Odom, Taylor, DAnderson along
with Nesby and Piatkowski).

Rookie Lamar Odom has led his team in scoring 12 times and rebounding 14
times. Derek Anderson and Mo Taylor have led the team in scoring 7 and 8
times each, respectively.

In addition to the six players mentioned above, point guard Troy Hudson
has twice led the team in scoring with a high of 20 points. Brian
Skinner has had an 18 point game and has led the Clips in rebounds 11
times with as many as 17 boards in one game, mostly coming earlier in
the season.

The 7-3 Keith Closs is another player somewhat hard to miss. He set an
NCAA Division I record for career blocks per game at Central Connecticut
State (5.87).

So why has a team with this much scoring and rebounding depth played so
poorly? They are predictably gunning and bricking their way to .424FG
shooting and scoring just 92.8 ppg (a -8.2 ppg scoring deficit). They
also are getting whupped on the boards, allowing 45.8 per game (a -4.1
deficit) and in passing (a -5.0 in assists per game). I haven't seen
Chris Ford lately but I imagine he has very little hair left.

The Clippers have been clobbered by over twenty points an amazing 8
times already this season, so if we hit them early they just might quit.
Last time we played them with our X-mas day hangovers, the Clippers
jumped out to a 31-18 lead at the end of the first quarter and held on
to win by 3.

Let's hope this doesn't happen again!! Crisp unselfish passing and total
aggression on the boards can do the trick tonight.

After tonight it's off to Middle America to face and hopefully beat
Kevin McHale's talented Timberpoodles, led by another "Kevin".

Go Celts!

****