On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 01:39:50 -0600
> From: Gregory Hurst <gh18@juno.com>
> Subject: WANTED!!!!

> The past trades have been disastrous for the Celtics.  We have not gotten
> any better.  Vitaly can not catch a cold in Alaska, naked in an ice cube!
>  So, please do not expect him to rebound or catch a pass in scoring
> postion.

Did you *watch* last night's game?  Would you care to explain what you
expect from Vitale, rather than 19 points on 8-13 shooting and 8 boards in
only 23 minutes?

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:36:21 +0100
> From: opi@unesco.org
> Subject: Re: Griz Maul Celts: Vancouver (?) 111- Boston 103
>
> urge Fortson to get the hell out of Boston once this season ends. The guy
> is starting to rebound like crazy plus he's not shooting bricks (16-21 on
> FG so far). He must be wondering "what the hell else I'm supposed to do to
> get minutes?" We're getting mauled on the boards and he's sitting on the
> bench. He can at least help us as a 6-8 backup center this year, then next
> year go somewhere where he'll be used properly.

It's going to break my heart if Fortson leaves.  He is such a perfect
Celtic but the way he's being used right now I wouldn't blame him a bit
for walking.

The C's have a logjam of good-but-not-great talent up front, and although
they all have talent and potential it's unlikely any of them will
develop quickly or be happy over the long haul getting 20-25 minutes a
night.  I think Pitino would be better off establishing a four -- maybe
five -- man rotation for the frontcourt and either dangle the odd man out
for a trade (backup point guard?) or leave him on the bench for insurance.
Right now there are six guys trying to get minutes for three front court
spots, and that doesn't even count Ellison or McCarty.

If forced to pick four, I'd go with Forton, Potapenko, Walker, and
Griffin.  If five, then add Battie.

> 8-13 with 8 boards in just 23 minutes is not entirely atypical of him. The
> kid averages just 23.7 mpg and only gets 7.1 shot attempts per game (with
> some strong, unblockable pivot moves and a .510FG%/.738FT%) yet we trash
> him for not putting up flashier numbers. Basically, he was a "ball hog"
> last night. Let's give him the damn ball once in awhile before we trash
> him as a non low-post threat.

Amen!

Dan