Re: strategy for the future

Let me first say that after tonight's result, I think you can stick a fork
in the Celtics.  If you can't beat the Mavs at home when you really, really
need a win, you are done.  Just a couple of responses to the thread Tom
Murphy started today.

Tom Murphy wrote:

> [FWIW here are my two favorite moment from the LA game (approximately, not
> verbatim).
> #1 - 1st qrtr, V has been constantly battling Shaq, forcing him to miss
> three fall-away shots (out of 4 total misses on the day for Shaq), and had
> just coaxed an offensive foul from the Diesel.
> Heinie: V could be a key player today, he's doing a really good job
> defending Shaq. He's fronting him, he's pushing him. . .
> Smithers (as V is subbed out): and he's leaving the game. . .
> Heinie: -sound of crickets chirping-

> #2 - I think it was the 3rd qrter, broadcasters rambling as it is obvious
> that the game was over long ago.
> Heinie: Well, if you talk to them (Celts brass), they'll tell you they
think
> McCarty is one of their best shooters.
> Smithers: No! Really?
> Heinie: Yeah!
> Smithers: -sound of crickets chirping-]

ROTFLMAO!  Living in Kansas City, I am unable to hear the Celtics
announcers.  I miss that a great deal, so stories like this make me laugh
even when I want to cry.

For what it's worth, I don't think that we are going to get Derek Anderson
for 4.5 million.  I think he wants more, and someone else is bound to
overpay for him.  If not, I say get him though.  Kandi-man I'm not so sure
of, as I've not seen him play.  My gut tells me no, though.  The question is
will he be like Hakeem, or Yinka Dare?  I remember Hakeem was rough at
first, but you could see that he had more tools than simply physical tools.
Heck, he and Ralph Sampson made the finals in their second year, right?  Has
anyone seen that much promise in Olowakandi, other than athleticism?

> Alex Wang wrote:

> Hi Tom,

> The plan you propose is interesting. I think there are a few drawbacks.
> It's not clear that the free agent class that you mention, including
> Hughes, Jamison, LaFrentz, etc. will actually be available because of
> the structure of the new rookie contracts. The really good ones will
> get extensions, and the marginal ones (like Anderson and Taylor this
> year) will be covered by right of first refusal, which will make it
> hard to pry away from their teams without overpaying.

Alex, isn't Anderson in the same class as Mercer, Billups, Duncan, etc.?
Aren't they unrestricted free agents?  I thought PP's class was the first
class subject to the new first refusal system.

One other thought on stealing players from the Clippers - has any star
player ever won a championship after playing for the Clippers?  OK, I can
name one (Walton), two if you count Ron Harper.  And I know it's too easy
taking shots at the Clips, but I'm afraid I may need to get them in right
now before it's too late.

Rob