Re: strategy for the future

Hi Tom,

The plan you propose is interesting. I think there are a few drawbacks.
It's not clear that the free agent class that you mention, including
Hughes, Jamison, LaFrentz, etc. will actually be available because of
the structure of the new rookie contracts. The really good ones will
get extensions, and the marginal ones (like Anderson and Taylor this
year) will be covered by right of first refusal, which will make it
hard to pry away from their teams without overpaying.

I think the two trades you propose have a side benefit that you don't
mention though - we'll be so bad that we'll be getting some really good
draft picks. Seriously, I think that is an important part to any
rebuilding project, picking up some good draft picks, especially under
the new rookie contracts. I don't like the Walker trade because my
feeling is that by the time you get to use the cap space from trading
him, he'll probably be better than what you get in free agency, unless
you can somehow grab a great big man. I'd rather get good draft picks
for him if I'm going to get rid of him.

> A rhetorical question: how tall is
> Toronto's frontcourt? Not one starter is over 6-9, but no one would dare try
> to run "lay-up drill" or a dunk-a-thon over them. No one messes with Vince.
> Toronto doesn't seem to miss the shot-blocking as much as you would suspect
> to hear some of the comments on this list.

Toronto is actually 5th in the league in team blocked shots (6.64). Many
of these come off of Carter and McGrady but Antonio Davis blocks 1.3 a
game too. Boston blocks 3.6 a game, 28th in the league. And they are a
below average team in FG% allowed. I believe that their media complains
about their lack of a true center on defense too.

I'd rather keep the team together, but keep in mind the possibility of
a future rebuilding if there is no improvement and sign contracts
accordingly. Both of the trades that you mention don't need to be made
right now; in fact the contracts that we'd be getting rid of get more
palatable to other teams as time goes on.

Alex