Re: Peter May in his Globe Sunday column will say:

>    Peter May in his Globe Sunday column will say:
>
>      "Don't be surprised if the Celtics make a move for (Derrick) Anderson,
>      who could fit in well and played for Pitino at Kentucky. They only
>      have the middle class exception to offer, but Anderson may have to
>      settle for that." May says Anderson along with Taylor were two Clipper
>      players who desperately wanted to be traded, but it didn't happen.
>      I could see a sign and trade happening. Think the Clipps would
>      be interested in Antoine and the C's lottery pick for Anderson and
>      the Clippers first pick?

Thanks for the update Way. Is this from the "Saturday edition of the
Sunday Globe"? I remember some advertisement to that effect. Or is it
through some sort of inside connection to the Globe?

I doubt that Anderson ends up settling for the middle class exception
with the Celtics. He seems like one of the more promising free agents
in the upcoming offseason, and if nothing else he would probably get
a sign-and-trade like you suggest. Although I doubt the deal you mention
happens (Antoine and #1 for Anderson and #1). It doesn't seem like the
Clippers are willing to pay the max, except for a really sure thing,
and Antoine is not that. I'm sure they'd rather sit on another high
draft pick that'll be forced to play for cheap for awhile.

I could see them trading Anderson in a sign-and-trade for draft picks
in a similar way to the Lorenzen Wright trade. In this case we'd have
to throw in expiring contracts since we don't have cap room; so we
throw in Barros (and Minor if necessary), cash, and two future
lottery-protected #1's.

>      On Forston, Peter says, that he certainly went from being
>      disposable to indisposable in a hurry, and he has no chance of getting
>      Tony Battie -- $25 million -- money on the open market, because
>      there are only three teams: Chicago, Clippers, and Orlando with
>      money to spend and they will  be looking for bigger booty.

It'll be hard to tell Fortson that he doesn't deserve Tony Battie money
given how Tony Battie has been playing. But it's true that you can't
keep giving big contracts to bench players. How much more money do we
want to invest for yet another backup 4/5?

I'd say that giving Fortson a shorter contract, say 3 years, is
probably the way to go. There isn't so much of a need to lock him up
long-term because he's not really as much of a "potential" player.
It gives him a longer trial period to prove himself and earn a bigger
contract, and the team more flexibility to move him if it doesn't work
out. Anyway, 2003 is when Anderson's contract expires - indeed Pitino's
coaching contract expires too which would make it much easier to move
in another direction with management (and personnel) if desired.
So giving Fortson a contract that lasts until then seems sensible.

Alex