Re: Trades

> > From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
> > Subject: Re: Re Trade talk
> >
> > No... Battie on steroids maybe. Battie has got shotblocking skills but
> > he doesn't have the size and man-to-man defensive abilities. I'm talking
> > about a combination of the bulk banging ability of Vitaly with the
> > athleticism of Battie.
>
> Alex, could you give some suggestions/names as to who with such skills is
> available? I think Battie can block shots, play man-man D, has the tools
> (but not 100% ideal, you're right no bulk). He got the wrong
> instructions/coaching from Pitino - trapping on the perimeter (jeezz!).
> Bulk is good but not a must (see Hakeem).
> Also, how to have the bulk like V and yet run like Battie? Zo can't

I was reading about how Hakeem had this tremendous natural strength
despite not doing any weight training in his life. Battie is basically
an athletic power forward, not a true center by any stretch. That is
exactly what Pitino said before Battie was drafted.

I'm thinking more of someone with true center size combined with
shotblocking ability. It's a bit of a pipe dream, I know. That's why
I would seriously consider making a run at Olowokandi because the
physical tools are all there: bulk, length, strength, leaping ability.
Yet he's perhaps disappointing enough to be traded, and on the right
team (i.e. the cheap, badly managed Clippers).

There are reasons this guy went #1 over far more proven prospects
like Bibby, Carter, Jamison, and Pierce. Because if his basketball
brain ever catches up with his body, he's a top 5 center in the
league, and those come around, what, every five years?

> > But how about trading their
> > proven quality center Vlade Divac for cap space (to help sign Shaq)
> > and an unproven high school kid (Kobe Bryant)? Pretty damn smart.
>
> I would take this risk too becos the price is a sure thing (Shaq). Kobe, well
> if he does not work out, no problem, I got the big prize already. Vlade was
> not the go-to guy or franchise (like Zo, Webber type status), not so much of
> a "risk" IMO.

Maybe there was collusion here and West already knew Shaq was coming.
But Orlando could have outbid LA if they had more foresight, so I'm not
sure how much of a sure thing it actually was.

> > It would be the job of the Celtics staff to figure out which outcome is mor
 *e likely
> > before making a trade like this. My point is, just because someone is
> > your best player doesn't mean that he is untradable; he just has a
> > higher price than everyone else.
>
> Yeah you're right. For me everybody (including Pitino) except Pierce and AG
> is tradeable. Becos PP and AG has celtic pride, and you can't "build or
> train" celtic pride.

Believe me, I'm a big Pierce fan and I wouldn't support trading him except
for a real shot at developing a dynasty-caliber team.

Alex