Re: The Orlando Sun-Sentinel

At 12:23 PM 2/17/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Unlike some of the others in this current battle royale, I'm probably the
most
>carelessly unsophisticated and emotional basher on the list ("Antoinette"
> >Walker, "Toto" Pierce, "Bat Girl", Pitinochio, Il Duce-bag).

Hey, I like your uninhibited style, Joe :) Besides, I was plenty emotional
about the forced trade for Alvin Williams myself.

Speaking of that trade, do you think Pitino should be slapped with
extortion charges for threatening to claim Workman off waivers if Toronto
refused to do the trade? He makes Whitey Bulger look like Mother Theresa :)
Or was Grunwald lying like a rug, trying to make Alvin feel better about
the trade? "Sorry, Alvin, we had to trade you, or we would've lost our PG
of the future who was available on waivers...oh, wait a minute, PG is your
position as well, isn't it? Good, now you get to learn by watching from the
bench." (DNP-CD for Williams last night).

>It still bothers me that one day Pitino talks about "my people" and the next
>minute he talks about "Wallace and his staff".

I think in social psychology they even have technical terms for that:
BIRGing (Basking In Reflected Glory)and CORFing (Cutting Off Reflected
Failure). Fans in every sport and of every team do it - "we won tonight!",
"they really sucked last night!" - and I guess coaches are susceptible to
that as well.