Re: The Orlando Sun-Sentinel

Alex Wang wrote:

> Joe writes:
>
> I mean, is he really trying to weasel out of blame when he says that
> the decisions are made by "Chris Wallace, his staff, and myself"?
> It's not like he's not in that list.

> You almost make it sound like
> he just said, "Wallace and his staff" without including himself.

Maybe that's how it sounds, but that's not how I meant it.

I think this list debate was fascinating because it divided some of the most
respected list people on opposing sides. But in the end, all the opinions I've
seen posted come from people who have a far more nuanced view of Pitino than they
are giving each other credit for.

Unlike some of the others in this current battle royale, I'm probably the most
carelessly unsophisticated and emotional basher on the list ("Antoinette" Walker,
"Toto" Pierce, "Bat Girl", Pitinochio, Il Duce-bag).

Yet, despite this, would I agree that it is possible Pitino was misquoted or that
an old quote was dredged up out of context? Sure. The Orlando reporter in
question probably hasn't had much direct access to Pitino since the trade.

And do I agree that sports journalists are quite capable of doing hatchet jobs on
individual Celts personalities, especially piling on when they are down? Yeah
sure.

So in other words, I'm not that far off from Jim or Alex or Cecil, even though I
side with Kestas and Tom in what - in my case-  has become a visceral distaste
for Pitino.

It still bothers me that one day Pitino talks about "my people" and the next
minute he talks about "Wallace and his staff". To illustrate my point, I'll refer
to the same Mercer draft day decision that Alex alludes to. According to Pitino's
own words, his staff held a vote and Pitino was overruled by the consensus.
Nevertheless, the Celts went ahead and drafted Mercer on Pitino's orders. In
other words, the buck stopped with the top executive (as it should).

Does anyone honestly believe the Alvin Williams, Haywood Workman hijack fiasco
would have gotten anywhere without Pitino's support?

If Pitino shouldered his share of the responsibility and accountability in a more
forthright manner, I for one wouldn't be calling for his head as vigorously. I've
said before that I think Pitino as a GM has assembled a good young team filled
with strong players in terms of character. Plus Pitino seems to recognize that he
needs to keep the core of this team together and be patient, which is reassuring.
If a new coach were hired, I would be opposed to him making wholesale personnel
changes for the sake of it.

My main criticisms are:
1) Pitino's badgering and information overloading is enough to cause any normal
employee to "tune out" his boss on occasion to preserve his own mental health and
well-being. This is just one part of the KISS principle ("Keep it Simple,
Stupid") that others have alluded to. The repetition of little "things that work"
makes basketball look easy to some teams and harder to others. There is no great
court-vision or superior athleticism involved on either end of a Stockton-Malone
pick and roll. The fact that the Celts have the talent to defeat some good teams
this year makes their inconsistency all the more frustrating (and focuses my
wrath at the yap dog coach on the sidelines).

2) The league-worst .473 FG% allowed is the outcome of a system that is failing
at the NBA level. Pitino's players aren't a few years away from finally getting
it. I see the players showing the right attitude and hustling, yet they keep
getting burned. This is the "charge of the light brigade".

Joe

****