Re: on balance

>From: Kestas <Kestutis.Kveraga@Dartmouth.EDU>
>
>This doesn't change the fact that these turned out to be bad signings, but
>I wonder if Pitino would've done things differently had he been in M.L.'s
>shoes. Judging from his record here, I doubt he would've been more
>clairvoyant or fiscally conservative.

What Pitino, or anyone else, would have done is irrelevant, I was just
pointing out how those many poor decisions handcuffed the Celtics in the
years that came.  If you're rebuilding, then rebuild.  It is not appropriate
to sign marginal NBA talent to 4 and 5 year contracts.  I don't buy the fact
that Barros and Pervis were that promising, Minor would still be a useful
player, and Brown was highly regarded at one time.  The point is, that if
you're tanking seasons, you don't sign long term contracts.  It's just
stupid.  You do what Orlando and Chicago are doing and make sure there's no
long term burden on the club, and when the inevitable draft picks finally
come to fruition, there is money to pay them.  When Pitino came on board the
goals had changed.  The team had the draft picks and paid a lot of money to
a coach who was intended to actually get result.  Long term contracts for
promising players is then appropriate.  Note that of ML's long term
signings, three are disasters, one was cut and stayed on the payroll for
three years, and another had to be packaged with a young player and traded
for a further long term contract.  Pitino's signings have so far at least
been tradeable (Mills, DeClerq, Knight).

>M.L. also made the trade that essentially got us Antoine and Mercer for
>Montross and Samaki Walker, but nobody ever gives him credit for that.

This is just flat out wrong.  I read here often what a good trade that was,
and I will freely acknowledge it.

>It just annoys me that people wantonly bash a loyal Celtic without
>considering the circumstances in which he was operating, yet it is often
>these same people that rise in defense of their beloved celebrity coach,
>using all kinds of situational excuses to explain away his poor
>performance. Whatever, if you want to believe that
>Pitino is infinitely wise and good, and M.L. incredibly inept and evil,
>this won't change your mind.

Now you're just being ridiculous.

Jim