Re: The Pierce-Conner thing

OK, since we started this, let's DO get our facts straight.

Pierce was slipping and it became apparent he was going to be there at 10.
This was stunning. Pierce was projected to go in the top 3. The Celtics
hadn't even worked him out because they were sure he would be off the board,
as was everyone else.

Pitino asked Conner if he had any idea why Pierce was slipping because
Conner knew him from playing against him during the summer in L.A. Pitino,
I'm assuming, was wondering if there was something in Pierce's background
(drugs or whatever), an unknown injury, or some other reason he had fallen
so far. Conner said there was nothing he knew of and Pierce was one of the
best players on the floor in L.A. (including some NBA players).

Now, that's hardly "pleading" for Pitino to take him. Pitino obviously
wanted to take him but was, understandably, suspicious of Pierce's fall down
the draft board. It's not like Pitino had his heart set on Nazr Mohammed and
had to be "talked into" taking Pierce by Conner. The selection of Pierce was
a no-brainer. I don't give Pitino or anyone else a lot of credit for the
choice because it was so obvious.

Mark

P.S. Every time I watch the Kings, I say a little thank you for their
selection of Jason Williams. That was the pick that pushed Pierce to the
Celts. Williams was expected to go right after the Celtics' pick (the Lakers
were trying to trade up for him), but the Kings pulled the surprise. Throw
in Don Nelson's lust for Nowitzki (Pitino's original target) and you end up
with Pierce in green. A lot of good luck involved.