Re: NEWSPAPERS

In message <008b01bf782a$436ade60$47c988cf@gateway2000>, "Juddy" said:

> At the bank where I work, the Celtics used to be talked about all the time, b
> ack in the better days.
>
> My point is, nobody talks about them now and the guys there once were big Cel
> tic fans.  Are the people on this list among a dying breed?

I don't know about the majority of the list, but I feel I am one of a dying
breed.  I am a fan of the Celtics...not of the NBA, nor whoever Stern is
trying to promote this week.  If the Celtics aren't in the playoffs, I don't
watch them.  If the Celtics are not on the weekend network games, I don't
watch them.

I also am a fan of skilled basketball.  I love to see a well-executed
pick-and-roll, or a nice jump shot, or great passing on the fast break.  I
detest thug defense and slam-dunk fests masquerading as basketball.  Players
today don't know how to play the game, and the NBA is responsible.  Michael
Jordan was a supremely skilled basketball player with awesome talents, but he
became best known for dunks.  Then came the ill-advised slam-dunk contest.
All at once, dunking became the only thing players wanted to do.  Being able
to make a nice pass or a jump shot or a free throw became secondary to
dunking...witness Shaq, one of the least-skilled "superstars" I have ever
seen.  He gets by because he is allowed to bull his way to the basket to
dunk.  Every time I see a commercial for the Nuggets, it consists of a quick
series of slam dunks wrapped around a pitch to buy tickes.

The players don't stay in the minor leagues (pardon me, college) long enough
to learn how to play basketball, and have enough money up front they don't
have to learn in the NBA either.  Frankly, I am about to chuck the whole
thing.  Stern only seems to care about the teen fans anyway, not about the
ones who have followed the sport since the '60s.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com