Re: The Orlando Sun-Sentinel

>From: opi@unesco.org
>
>The Orlando Sun Sentinel article that Kevin Lok first posted is worth
>exerpting to the list  again IMO. It reallly demonstrates one of the
>occasional bad habits Rick Pitino has of making excuses and passing the
>buck -- more often than not about the deficiencies of individual players --
>but also onto his own executives in this case.

I disagree.  The only quote from him was one that states he makes his
decisions in conjunction with Wallace and his staff.  It was probably in
response to a question about him being too autocratic, but that was
conveniently left out of the article.  Pitino has made this statement often
when faced with that question, from his original draft, to the drafting of
Paul Pierce (for which he credited Lester Conner) and the trading for
Potapenko.  If you ask me, the Boston sports media don't know what to do
with themselves now that they have accomplished their 3 year goal of chasing
Pete Carroll from his job (they get something right once in a while!), and
have turned their attention to the next easy target.  The national press
just scoop it up and spit it back out.  You only need to read Peter May's
words in Dave D'lasshole's column to know that is fact.  The current trend
of referring to Rick as Teflon man or Non-Stick Rick, while amusing, is
ludicrous.  The only reason that Pitino hasn't had more criticism before now
is that the media could hardly be bothered to cover the Celtics at all.  For
them to now say it is because he is so "slick" strikes me as (to borrow
their own favorite 25c word) "disingenuous".  Joe, you used to praise Pitino
for his frankness.  He certainly isn't reluctant to point out people's
shortcomings publicly (which may or may not be a good thing).  Last year he
said over and over again the he himself had not done a good job.  Some
people will not be satisfied unless he calls this season a failure and
blames himself for it, but isn't that foolish at this point?  In his mind,
he still intends to make the playoffs.  People want him to say, "this system
I've been trying to run here for the last three years just doesn't work and
we'll have to try something else".  How would you like to hear that as a
player?  Do you think it would motivate you?  Anyway, a few more games like
last night and we'll all be a lot happier.

Jim