Re: How to keep Fortson

Cecil Wright wrote:

> Regarding the unending trade rumors regarding Fortson, I agree with those
> who think he merits a shot at some playing time.  Christ, Billups messed up
> several times and he still gave him ample opportunities before he was
> jettisoned to the Raps.  If Danny is not good in the trapping, pressing
> system, the ripper should simply not play him in those situations.  I'd like
> to see him used with VP and Toine upfront, and PP and Kenny in the
> backcourt.  With that crew, they could foresake the fastbreak, unless they
> had numbers, and run a screen and post offensive set.  Fortson could do his
> Mr. Clean act, Toine could still work the baseline and VP could be the high
> post target.
>
> AG is the 6th man filling in where he's needed.

The crust of the issue is: Does the ripper want the players play to their
strengths or play to his (ripper's) fancies to suit his "system"? Danny Fortson
trapping? Battie chasing guys on the perimeter?! (no wonder he seldom block
shots! he so far away from the paint!) why  is Pot taking a jump shot? Doesn't
he (or coach P) knows he'll get more payback inside the paint? PP - natural SF,
and ripper wants him to change to SG in just his second season? (how many
seasons did it take MJ to develop a 3-point "money" shot?)

If we trade Fortson, we are going back to the drawing board once this season
ends, becos we will need a rebounder (didn't Pat Riley said no rebounds no
rings? or was it Phil Jackson)

I believe we've already got talent and the right player/attitudes, we just needs
the right coach (monkey outbreak style is not going bring us a championship -
playoffs are always half court games)

regards
kevin
P.S. a couple of you sent me emails on Holley and black/negro issues. sorry if
i've caused some anxiety, never meant it to be this way. i've got no issues
regarding whether Holley is black or negro or african-american. i was just
answering a list member's query. On hindsight, I should have just say "you can
view Michael Holley picture on the globe's homepage". anyway, let's drop this
issue and concentrate on the Cs. cheers.