Re: Milton

Hey dude, we were practically neighbors!

Pardon us, but the rest is a bit off topic - fell free to skip if you're
not from the area :)

I went to the Glover School (right by Turner's Pond and a stone's throw
from the Academy) for grade school and to Milton High (just up the other
end of Randolph?) from '79-'82. . . I was nerdly enough to play for the
chess club and helped "open cans o' whup ass" on the Academy when we played
them (We won the league trophy in '82). . . I've been camping in the Blue
Hills. . . I too was interviewed for MIT by some introverted geek who lived
in Milton. . . And all the time I lived up the street (Eliot St.) from the
Central Square stop of the Red Line Mattapan trolley which is the one I
imagine you used (although I used Valley Station, the next stop up the line
to Mattapan Sqr). I even spent a summer program studying astronomy at the
Academy my junior year in '81 for bright but underprivileged students (my
folks were able to buy a house in Milton (bordering Dorchester/Mattapan)
because of a modest inheritance after the death of an aunt). I watched that
'81 championship with a set of friends, one of whom has a place right by
the firehouse near the town hall. Funny to think we were both trolling
around the 'tute and yard (where else did one go for a good time?) at the
same time. . .

To be honest though, I'm jealous of you're current residence - my wife and
I spent our honeymoon in Paris and thought it the most lovely city either
of us has ever had the pleasure to visit!

One funny story: my wife is a 6-0 redhead (which I think you'll agree are
not that typical in France) and on one trip to the Luxembourg Gardens a
French fellow literally fell on his face while trying to simultaneously
negotiate some steps and ogle my new bride. Unbeknownst to him she knows
French fluently, so after he tried to explain to his friend (who was
laughing his a$$ off) about "the red, the red etc." she inquired in French
if he was OK. At which point he asked 1) aren't you American? (I guess it's
that obvious) 2) was I her husband, and 3) did I also speak French? Upon
hearing "no" he, in obvious relief, took his leave with his friend
(laughing hysterically now) in tow. Just one of many fond memories. . .

Cheers mon ami - TomM
----------
> From: opi@unesco.org
> To: Thomas Murphy <tfmiii@worldnet.att.net>; Celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: Re: Satch Sanders
> Date: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 6:48 PM
>
> -----
>
> Thomas Murphy wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 21:17:50 +0800
> > From: kevin lok <kevin.lok@lycosmail.com>
> > Subject: Satch Sanders
> >
> > http://www.bostonherald.com/bostonherald/colm/fitz02092000.htm
> >
> > Great article - thanks Kevin!
> >
> > I can still remember Satch as coach of a declining Celtic team. I
remember
> > he had such a low voice that the refs had trouble hearing him. I also
> > remember that several real estate companies in my home town (Milton,
MA)
> > were prosecuted for racist practices at roughly the same time. It's
great
> > that the government can be used as a tool to combat such practices, but
> > sadly enough white folk also seem to think that since the govt is
involved
> > our own responsibility ends once we've pay our taxes.
> >
> > -TomM
>
> Wow, my retarded teen years revolved around Milton Academy (home of T.S.
> Elliot and Robert Kennedy) and the direct "Red Line" metro subway train
that
> is advertised to lead directly through the gates of Harvard yard.
>
> So I can actually boast to know Milton, the Blue Hills and Jamaica Plain
more
> or less  inside and out. I distinctly remember getting my MIT interview
from
> some brilliant-seeming Milton resident whose name I don't recall. He
couldn't
> have tried to "dis" my science and math credentials more, yet I still
spent a
> lot of my freshman college year hanging with you MIT geeks in that
24-hour
> library.
>
> We weren't allowed to watch TV as boarders at Milton Academy so my
Celtics
> memories centered on the radio voice of Johnnie Most. I guess the
1980-1981
> series against the Sixers (for the second straight year down 3 games to
1)
> stands out as the greatest and sweetest sports memory of my life.
>
> Joe
>
> p.s. I sense Greg Ode and others may see some benefit in swapping Alvin
> Williams for Danny Fortson. I'm tempted to imagine the upside based on
Al's