Nowitzki (was Re: Nets game 3rd qtr)

> On 9 Feb 00, at 10:23, kevin lok wrote:
>
> > over at the ng, Ordway at weei mentioned a Forston - Rooks/Nowistki
> > rumour. I think Pitino should lay off being a trader, is this all you
> > can get??
>
> I don't know much about Nowitzki, but he's a seven footer & he
> averages 17.6 pts per game. He shoots 46% (40% on 3 pointers).
> Plus he's only 21 years old! Not a bad deal if you ask me.
>
> -David

I would guess that Pitino would do this trade in a heartbeat.
He coveted Nowitzki during the draft, to much ridicule from the media
last year, but Nowitzki's performance this year vindicates him.
Of course it also somewhat vindicates Don Nelson who was ridiculed
to an even greater degree because he passed up Pierce. I agree with
Joe's sentiments though, why couldn't we have gotten the #3 and #6
in that draft instead of the "Duncan and Junk" draft? Anyway, would
Don Nelson trade one of his few triumphs as a GM? Then again, he's
not really in charge anymore, is he? I read that new Dallas owner
Mark Cuban played Nowitzki one-on-one and Nowitzki dunked on him
repeatedly. Maybe that's why he'd be on the block =) Seriously
though, you'd figure that Nowitzki has a higher value as a successful
starter and a player locked down to a rookie contract, as opposed to
Fortson who's been struggling and is a free agent. So the Celtics
might throw in a first-round draft pick. Mmm, lottery-protect it this
year and I'd be willing to go for that.

As for whether it makes sense for the teams involved: Well, Pitino
had intented for Nowitzki to play alongside Mercer and Walker, so I'd
assume he would pencil him in at 3. His shooting ability out to 3 point
range would fit well in the offense. His lack of defensive ability would
fit right in on this team too. Pitino's philosophy is to take offensive
players and try to teach them to play defense, which shows in our
opposing FG%; I hope it pays off eventually. As for why Dallas would
want Fortson - not as clear on this. Of course they are one of the
weakest rebounding teams in the league, and Dennis Rodman is at best a
short-term fix. Ceballos and Nowitzki seem to play the same position (SF)
though they've been starting together.

Alex