Re: Fortson Poll Results

I was hoping we would use our practice week during the All Star break to
test Fortson into a playoff-run, 8-man rotation. But it sounds like the
team will be given the time off from what the newspapers say.

Having said that, I don't personally think Pitino/Wallace will rush to meet
the trade deadline on Fortson for less than fair value. If he goes for a
future pick, I'm not convinced our young starters can sufficiently overcome
the hurdle of our remaining crapola bench and make the playoffs this
season.

I was hoping that making the playoffs this year would give our young core
players the hunger and the sense of confidence to really start delivering
whupass cans in 2000-01 on a bunch of teams ahead of us that are a lot more
brittle with age and a lot less well-balanced at all five positions than
the Boston Celtics are. Making the playoffs is really important. If we
can't get a Jerome Williams for Fortson (obviously we can't), then we
should explore a serviceable 20 mpg backup young "point guard of the
future" along the lines of a Baron "El Busto" Davis or even look to a
Cleveland blockbuster involving the about-to-be-downsized Brevin Knight and
one of the Cav's many redundant three-point bombers.

Personally, I'm hoping the deadline will pass without a move. My gut
feeling is that the coaching staff actually likes Fortson as an overall
positive influence and wish, like we all do, that he had a full training
camp. You can see a lot of Oakley in this 24-year-old, and I'm sure Pitino
does too.

He just needs to take the extra leap of imagination and conclude that
giving Antoine 5 to 10 token minutes at small forward at the horrible
expense of leaving Waltah/Eric/Calbert on the bench will NOT hurt this
basketball team. It will lead to a net gain in team rebounds on both ends
of the court which should more than make up for whatever unclear team
chemistry ingredients we'll lose as a result of sitting one of our "Three
Stooges" down.

****