A closer look at the Detroit offer

Let's look at the Detroit trade rumor a little more closely. Per the news
reports, the Pistons approached us as to Fortson. What would be their offer?
Now I don't think we have to be in a hurry in trading Fortson. Basically all
of the teams are over the cap and can only offer the middle class exception
of 2-3 million a year. Since other young big players such as Battie, Camby,
O'Neil and Cato are making 5-7 million a year, you got to think that you
wouldn't be overpaying to sign Fortson to a reasonable salary of 4 million to
stay with the Celts. I believe the top 4 free agents will sign with Orlando
and Chicago and all of their money will be gone. I don't think they will
carve out 4-5 million out of their available money for Duncan, Jones etc for
Fortson. So we can outbid everyone and still sign him for a reasonable salary.

Now comes the issue of whether we want to keep him. It is nice to have a
solid, enforcer type of the bench who can rebound. All teams would like to
have this luxury. Initially, we believed we needed a rebounder in the
starting lineup. However, now the VP has improved in the rebounding area and
has cut down on the fouls, along with improved rebounding from Walker, Pierce
and Griffen, it appears that we could get by without him. Now, we will always
be small and a finesse team with Walker at the 4 and we will get beat up by
the bruiser teams. However, it the Celts could learn to use their speed, they
could offset this advantage. Regardless, it appears that Rick as determined
that Walker will play only the 4. Therefore, Fortson will only play backup
minutes. That is what makes Fortson expendable.

Back to the Detroit trade, what was the Pistons offering? I believe it was
Laettner. The money seems to work for a Laettner for E Williams and Fortson.
Look at their team. What else could they be offering? There was a recent
newspaper article on why Laettner should be traded away. It seems to fit to
me. Now the reports say Pitino countered with Fortson and Pervis for J
Williams. The money works out right there also. I haven't seen Laettner for
awhile. He really had game before. He can has a decent inside game and has a
nice outside shot. He can hit that shot at the top of the key where the
Celtic big men seem to spend most of their time in this offense. Laettner
could really solidify the second unit, can rebound some and play some backup
center. He would go well with Battie. However, supposedly he hasn't come back
well from his Achilles injury. Again, I haven't seen him play for awhile. But
there is also the Pitino/Laettner connection from March Madness. You got to
know that Pitino respects him. Also remember the Stackhouse/Laettner fight.
(In that case, I sided with Laettner...You don't have to show your cards if
the other player folds...) Well, Stackhouse isn't going anywhere now that he
made the All-Star team.

In conclusion, I would really like a trade for Laettner, as long he has 75%
of the game he used to have. I wouldn't give up anymore, though, than the
original trade offer, if correct (no number 1 included)...

DJessen33