Re: A closer look at the Detroit offer

In a message dated 02/06/2000 12:08:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
DJessen33@aol.com writes:

<< Back to the Detroit trade, what was the Pistons offering? I believe it was
 Laettner. The money seems to work for a Laettner for E Williams and Fortson.
 Look at their team. What else could they be offering? There was a recent
 newspaper article on why Laettner should be traded away. It seems to fit to
 me. Now the reports say Pitino countered with Fortson and Pervis for J
 Williams. The money works out right there also. I haven't seen Laettner for
 awhile. He really had game before. He can has a decent inside game and has a
 nice outside shot. He can hit that shot at the top of the key where the
 Celtic big men seem to spend most of their time in this offense. Laettner
 could really solidify the second unit, can rebound some and play some backup
 center. He would go well with Battie. However, supposedly he hasn't come
back
 well from his Achilles injury. Again, I haven't seen him play for awhile.
But
 there is also the Pitino/Laettner connection from March Madness. You got to
 know that Pitino respects him. Also remember the Stackhouse/Laettner fight.
 (In that case, I sided with Laettner...You don't have to show your cards if
 the other player folds...) Well, Stackhouse isn't going anywhere now that he
 made the All-Star team. >>

DJ,

Wouldn't it seem to imply that if the Pistons originally offered Laettner and
the C's counter-offered for Jerome Williams that RP wouldn't be as interested
in Laettner?  It could also be a case of 'ol trader Rick playing his brand of
poker and making the Pistons sweat a little or trying to drive the price for
Laettner down. The key, though, is not wait too long and let the Pistons make
another deal with somebody else.
Personally, I think I'd rather go the Fortson/EWilliams for Laettner route
than Fortson/Pervis for J Williams.

Why?

Laettner would give the C's another offensive post player; something that J
Williams clearly is not. It would also accelerate cap relief from E Williams'
contract as well as clear up a glut at the SF spot. Even as a worst case
scenario if Laettner is a total bust or a disaster chemistry wise, he'd only
have one year left on his deal after this year. E Williams would still have 4
years left after this year.

Additionally, Pervis would have value to a team like Orlando for cap relief.
To get Strong in exchange would give the C's a new look front court. If, to
use Sptguy33's idea of Pervis and the Denver #1 for Strong and either Doleac
or Pat Garrity, that would almost be too good to be true.  V, Battie, Walker,
Laettner, Strong, and either Garrity or Doleac is a nice blend. Certainly an
improvement over V, Battie, Walker, Fortson, Pervis, and E Williams.

The C's then address their backup PG need via this year's draft or through
one of the two exceptions they'll have this summer.